Remove the "gender" selections.

If you have a suggestion for the site, create a topic here and telll us about it
Excellion

Re: Remove the "gender" selections.

Post #21 by Excellion » Tue May 31, 2022 10:23 pm

Christen57 wrote:
Excellion wrote:
Christen57 wrote:
Removing it takes time and the staff have better things to do with their time at the moment so if they do end up removing it, it's gonna be a while since it's low priority.

Recommend keeping this discussion to the "don't id as male or female thread" though as there shouldn't be 2 different threads arguing the same thing.

They removed group chat feature, didnt seem to be an issue for anyone, and the time it would take to remove what?

This I'm not sure of, as we seem to have never had such a working feature to begin with.

Worked fine on launch had lgbtq groups on it but it never got used for anything but clan drama and when clans stopped being a thing it was removed and not a word about that feature since.

Excellion

Post #22 by Excellion » Tue May 31, 2022 10:25 pm

Genexwrecker wrote:
Excellion wrote:
Genexwrecker wrote:It doesnt hurt anybody by existing there is literally 0 reason to remove it.

Yes there is, it hurts non binary people by exclusion, it makes people identifying as female a target for harrassment by creeps. I literally just said that.

Non binary people dont exist so it is again not hurting anybody. I have had my gender set as female and posted pictures of my boobs on duelingbook and got harassed twice in 4 years so thats a non issue we have rules against harassment for the rare cases of the harassment via ones gender. If anything the men get harassed more.

1. Intersex people exist and do not fit the classifications of a binary system, so youre wrong there.
2. Youre argument against removing it to prevent harrassment is "i was harrassed so its not a problem" and "males get harrassed more than females" then remove the feautre so NO ONE is harrassed for their gender AT ALL. You proved my point

greg503

Post #23 by greg503 » Tue May 31, 2022 10:32 pm

Excellion wrote:
Genexwrecker wrote:
Excellion wrote:Yes there is, it hurts non binary people by exclusion, it makes people identifying as female a target for harrassment by creeps. I literally just said that.

Non binary people dont exist so it is again not hurting anybody. I have had my gender set as female and posted pictures of my boobs on duelingbook and got harassed twice in 4 years so thats a non issue we have rules against harassment for the rare cases of the harassment via ones gender. If anything the men get harassed more.

1. Intersex people exist and do not fit the classifications of a binary system, so youre wrong there.
2. Youre argument against removing it to prevent harrassment is "i was harrassed so its not a problem" and "males get harrassed more than females" then remove the feautre so NO ONE is harrassed for their gender AT ALL. You proved my point

BUT YOU CAN STILL PUT IT IN YOUR PROFILE AND PEOPLE WILL MAKE ASSUMPTIONS ANYWAYS
Buy Floowandereeze

Excellion

Post #24 by Excellion » Tue May 31, 2022 10:40 pm

greg503 wrote:
Excellion wrote:
Genexwrecker wrote:Non binary people dont exist so it is again not hurting anybody. I have had my gender set as female and posted pictures of my boobs on duelingbook and got harassed twice in 4 years so thats a non issue we have rules against harassment for the rare cases of the harassment via ones gender. If anything the men get harassed more.

BUT YOU CAN STILL PUT IT IN YOUR PROFILE AND PEOPLE WILL MAKE ASSUMPTIONS ANYWAYS

Then we DONT. NEED. A. GENDER. SELECTION. OPTION. If you want your genser identity recognized, put it in your profile, but delete the gender selection stop with your "equal but seperate" BS.

Genexwrecker

Post #25 by Genexwrecker » Tue May 31, 2022 11:20 pm

Excellion wrote:
greg503 wrote:
Excellion wrote:1. Intersex people exist and do not fit the classifications of a binary system, so youre wrong there.

Then we DONT. NEED. A. GENDER. SELECTION. OPTION. If you want your genser identity recognized, put it in your profile, but delete the gender selection stop with your "equal but seperate" BS.

Your argument to remove the feature to prevent extremely rare harassment. Another reasoning to defend the removal is that people can put it in their profile description what their gender is. Which is viewable just like the gender selection option which means people will see the gender they listed and possibly harass them anyway even with the gender feature removed.

This makes 0 sense.
Official Duelingbook Support staff
Official Duelingbook Resource Judge
Official Duelingbook Tournament Admin.(Other tournament Admin is Runzy)

Excellion

Post #26 by Excellion » Wed Jun 01, 2022 12:20 am

Genexwrecker wrote:
Excellion wrote:
greg503 wrote:BUT YOU CAN STILL PUT IT IN YOUR PROFILE AND PEOPLE WILL MAKE ASSUMPTIONS ANYWAYS

Your argument to remove the feature to prevent extremely rare harassment. Another reasoning to defend the removal is that people can put it in their profile description what their gender is. Which is viewable just like the gender selection option which means people will see the gender they listed and possibly harass them anyway even with the gender feature removed.

This makes 0 sense.

No Your argument is "people with their gender on their profile dont get harrassed" followed by "ive been harrassed twice" and "males get harrassed more than females" and your responce to this point that people are being harrassed based on their gender is "yea well removing this feautre only stops harrassment of those people" YES. Exactly. You, as a judge, should be in FAVOR of changes that reduce harrassment, by any amount. And like i said, removing the gender select option has NO Downsides, if someone still wanted their gender on their profile they could just add it to their profile bio.

But if we are only accepting solutions that end ALL harrassment then remove all chat functionality for DB, no more harrassment, ever.

Excellion

Post #27 by Excellion » Wed Jun 01, 2022 12:20 am

Genexwrecker wrote:
Excellion wrote:
greg503 wrote:BUT YOU CAN STILL PUT IT IN YOUR PROFILE AND PEOPLE WILL MAKE ASSUMPTIONS ANYWAYS

This makes 0 sense.

No Your argument is "people with their gender on their profile dont get harrassed" followed by "ive been harrassed twice" and "males get harrassed more than females" and your responce to this point that people are being harrassed based on their gender is "yea well removing this feautre only stops harrassment of those people" YES. Exactly. You, as a judge, should be in FAVOR of changes that reduce harrassment, by any amount. And like i said, removing the gender select option has NO Downsides, if someone still wanted their gender on their profile they could just add it to their profile bio.

But if we are only accepting solutions that end ALL harrassment then remove all chat functionality for DB, no more harrassment, ever.

Genexwrecker

Post #28 by Genexwrecker » Wed Jun 01, 2022 1:20 am

Harassment will never can never and shall never end in the history of ever. What we do have are rules agains harassment which deter it and if it occurs then we penalize it. If you do not like being harassed do not interract with people at all and staff off the internet and out of public areas. It is nonsense saying that putting your gender is like inviting harassment

Excellion

Post #29 by Excellion » Wed Jun 01, 2022 2:28 am

Genexwrecker wrote:Harassment will never can never and shall never end in the history of ever. What we do have are rules agains harassment which deter it and if it occurs then we penalize it. If you do not like being harassed do not interract with people at all and staff off the internet and out of public areas. It is nonsense saying that putting your gender is like inviting harassment

Unless someone wants to display a gender that is non binary, apparently.

Excellion

Post #30 by Excellion » Wed Jun 01, 2022 2:30 am

Then not only is allowed, its promoted and instigated by you, also for someone who "doesnt care" what people identify as, as you said in another thread you really seem to care what people identify as on a platform where you have some small bit of authority.

Genexwrecker

Post #31 by Genexwrecker » Wed Jun 01, 2022 2:38 am

Excellion wrote:Then not only is allowed, its promoted and instigated by you, also for someone who "doesnt care" what people identify as, as you said in another thread you really seem to care what people identify as on a platform where you have some small bit of authority.

I really do not care what somebody wants to identify as that is not my business nor does anybody else. You are free to imagine yourself as whatever you want. there are people who want to identify as attack helicopters and more power to them. We go by facts nature and proper science here not make believe fairy tales of choosing what you want to identify as.

If somebody tells me they identify as "A duelingbook judge" I'm not going to have them made a judge on here.

end of discussion

Excellion

Post #32 by Excellion » Wed Jun 01, 2022 2:49 am

Genexwrecker wrote:
Excellion wrote:Then not only is allowed, its promoted and instigated by you, also for someone who "doesnt care" what people identify as, as you said in another thread you really seem to care what people identify as on a platform where you have some small bit of authority.

I really do not care what somebody wants to identify as that is not my business nor does anybody else. You are free to imagine yourself as whatever you want. there are people who want to identify as attack helicopters and more power to them. We go by facts nature and proper science here not make believe fairy tales of choosing what you want to identify as.

If somebody tells me they identify as "A duelingbook judge" I'm not going to have them made a judge on here.

end of discussion

1. Fairly curtain YOU dont soley decide what does and does not get implimented, if you do ill have to report for abuse of power because youre basing your decision not on whats best for the site, but based on your own prejudice. 2. You "go by nature" until nature conflicts with your beliefs, as weve seen by you completely ignoring intersex and supermales who by your definition do not fit in the xx or even xxy catagory and are therefore not male or female by your defininition given. if youre really gonna write those off as "male/females with birth defects" then the next step is to say all males are females with birth defect, which means your binary becomes females and transmales.

If you "dont care" so much then why is it such an issue for you to let them put whatever they want? Why is it an issue to remove a feature you, yourself said "90% people ignore" who but you is gonna care? Ive given a dozen reasons why it should and youre only reason why it shouldnt is baseless

Excellion

Post #33 by Excellion » Wed Jun 01, 2022 2:50 am

Genexwrecker wrote:

end of discussion

1. Fairly curtain YOU dont soley decide what does and does not get implimented, if you do ill have to report for abuse of power because youre basing your decision not on whats best for the site, but based on your own prejudice. 2. You "go by nature" until nature conflicts with your beliefs, as weve seen by you completely ignoring intersex and supermales who by your definition do not fit in the xx or even xy catagory and are therefore not male or female by your defininition given. if youre really gonna write those off as "male/females with birth defects" then the next step is to say all males are females with birth defect, which means your binary becomes females and transmales.

If you "dont care" so much then why is it such an issue for you to let them put whatever they want? Why is it an issue to remove a feature you, yourself said "90% people ignore" who but you is gonna care? Ive given a dozen reasons why it should and youre only reason why it shouldnt is baseless

Genexwrecker

Post #34 by Genexwrecker » Wed Jun 01, 2022 3:10 am

Excellion wrote:
Genexwrecker wrote:

end of discussion

1. Fairly curtain YOU dont soley decide what does and does not get implimented, if you do ill have to report for abuse of power because youre basing your decision not on whats best for the site, but based on your own prejudice. 2. You "go by nature" until nature conflicts with your beliefs, as weve seen by you completely ignoring intersex and supermales who by your definition do not fit in the xx or even xy catagory and are therefore not male or female by your defininition given. if youre really gonna write those off as "male/females with birth defects" then the next step is to say all males are females with birth defect, which means your binary becomes females and transmales.

I discuss the suggestions with the owner and document them in my checklist thread. If you have any questions about current suggestions that have been suggested in this section so far feel free to view the thread for all the submitted requests so far.

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=21490 so yes I already have a system for documenting the suggestions that are given. You are correct I do not solely decide what does and does not get implemented the owner does. which is why I have a list compiled that he reviews.

Going down the road of wokeness will only lead to disaster for a website and the community behind it. thank you for your suggestion and have a good day.

Excellion

Post #35 by Excellion » Wed Jun 01, 2022 3:13 am

Genexwrecker wrote:
Excellion wrote:
Genexwrecker wrote:I really do not care what somebody wants to identify as that is not my business nor does anybody else. You are free to imagine yourself as whatever you want. there are people who want to identify as attack helicopters and more power to them. We go by facts nature and proper science here not make believe fairy tales of choosing what you want to identify as.

end of discussion

I discuss the suggestions with the owner and document them in my checklist thread. If you have any questions about current suggestions that have been suggested in this section so far feel free to view the thread for all the submitted requests so far.

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=21490 so yes I already have a system for documenting the suggestions that are given. You are correct I do not solely decide what does and does not get implemented the owner does. which is why I have a list compiled that he reviews.

Going down the road of wokeness will only lead to disaster for a website and the community behind it. thank you for your suggestion and have a good day.

You have not given a single reason why this change shouldnt be implimented other than because YOU dont like non binary people.

Genexwrecker

Post #36 by Genexwrecker » Wed Jun 01, 2022 3:46 am

I already gave the reason that change is the path of wokeness and we arent going to be conforming to the many gender identity issues or pronoun issues associated with it. The gender option is not changing and we arent going to be forcing pronouns or such either as that will kill the site.

Excellion

Post #37 by Excellion » Wed Jun 01, 2022 3:57 am

Genexwrecker wrote:I already gave the reason that change is the path of wokeness and we arent going to be conforming to the many gender identity issues or pronoun issues associated with it. The gender option is not changing and we arent going to be forcing pronouns or such either as that will kill the site.

Then how is REMOVING the gender option "on the road to wokeness" it is elminating a future problem of people wanting their gender represented, people who want whatever they are to be represented can do so in their profile notes, this change literally does nothing for "Wokeness" so again you have no reason to squash this suggestion.

Excellion

Post #38 by Excellion » Wed Jun 01, 2022 3:58 am

Literally the only reason you would stop this is to directly spite non binary people because you have not given ANY reason otherwise.

SimpForJesus

Post #39 by SimpForJesus » Wed Jun 01, 2022 7:49 am

I agree with excellion in principle:

it takes no real effort to add an "other" or "non-binary" option to the gender dropdown list

people who identify as non-binary already do this in language so the demand is clearly there regardless of your personal views

intentionally making people who dont identify as the current two options put the option they want to elsewhere (eg. in language or profile) is nothing but exclusive and is arguably degrading.

i dont see a good justification for not, at the very minimum, putting an "other" option. there is no real demand for the "endless list of positions" you are claiming.

Genexwrecker

Post #40 by Genexwrecker » Wed Jun 01, 2022 1:38 pm

SimpForJesus wrote:I agree with excellion in principle:

it takes no real effort to add an "other" or "non-binary" option to the gender dropdown list

people who identify as non-binary already do this in language so the demand is clearly there regardless of your personal views

intentionally making people who dont identify as the current two options put the option they want to elsewhere (eg. in language or profile) is nothing but exclusive and is arguably degrading.

i dont see a good justification for not, at the very minimum, putting an "other" option. there is no real demand for the "endless list of positions" you are claiming.
its the beginning of a very dangerous road. You start removing or adjusting gender options you cater to the woke crowd which will be the downfall of a website. Its a Woke suggestion so it will bot be considered.

Return to “Suggestions”