Delete Custom Cards Format for Good. (Formerly: Establish an Automatic Custom Card Review System)

If you have a suggestion for the site, create a topic here and telll us about it
Wek

Re: Establish an Automatic Custom Card Review System

Post #41 by Wek » Mon Jan 31, 2022 4:31 pm

parhelia_0000 wrote:
PENMASTER wrote:my solution is we just delete customs and make a format tab where electrumight is legal and that's it

You know what, that's starting to look like not too bad an idea after all. Since people cannot be trusted to balance the cards themselves, and since the admins are unable to set up an automatic custom card review system, I don't feel that custom cards format should even exist anymore at this point.

Yes, there will still be toxic people on the game, but at the very least by getting rid of custom cards format as a whole, it'll be one less thing the community has to complain about.

Community then proceeds to complain about not having customs anymore. :lol:
Just stop trolling customs and stop playing trolls in customs, and suddenly your problems are solved. :idea:

Lil Oldman
Mood:

Post #42 by Lil Oldman » Mon Jan 31, 2022 4:48 pm

^^ Omega brian strats right here
"Complacency? How rude. I live the stifling life of a high school student in our problematic modern society."
Help I cannot remove this music from my head
https://youtu.be/ZuXI7qcNsHQ
Will try reviewing custom cards if they look interesting.

parhelia_0000
Mood:

Post #43 by parhelia_0000 » Mon Jan 31, 2022 5:05 pm

Wek wrote:
parhelia_0000 wrote:
PENMASTER wrote:my solution is we just delete customs and make a format tab where electrumight is legal and that's it

You know what, that's starting to look like not too bad an idea after all. Since people cannot be trusted to balance the cards themselves, and since the admins are unable to set up an automatic custom card review system, I don't feel that custom cards format should even exist anymore at this point.

Yes, there will still be toxic people on the game, but at the very least by getting rid of custom cards format as a whole, it'll be one less thing the community has to complain about.

Just stop trolling customs and stop playing trolls in customs, and suddenly your problems are solved. :idea:

I mean, if it means FINALLY breaking the chain of CrystalMusic 2.0/3.0/4.0 etc. in the custom pool, then it's better to deal with complaints about not having custom cards anymore rather than deal with constant reports of trolls in the format.

It's all about choosing the lesser of two evils at this point.

Christen57

Post #44 by Christen57 » Mon Jan 31, 2022 5:54 pm

Genexwrecker wrote:For the love of god please stop quoting the 10 page essay

What 10 page essay?

parhelia_0000 wrote:

I strongly disagree that the custom format should just be deleted outright just because you find yourself losing interest in it or getting frustrated in it. Lil Oldman pointed out earlier that customs "allow for so much creativity and are such a powerful tool, both for casual/regular players looking for a fun time, aswell as for game card designers, this may be the first experience for lots of people in game design" and I agree with this.

Yes, there are people like the aforementioned CrystalMusic/Chaosprince who refuse any criticism and won't make any effort to make their cards more balanced or at least use problem-solving card text, but I still trust that you and many others like you will try balancing your customs, and people still trust that I'll continue to try balancing mine, so it isn't fair to group everyone as "people who cannot be trusted to balance the cards," at least not just yet.

Getting rid of customs simply because of some mean user(s) will do more harm than good at this point, both for the duelingbook community and for duelingbook itself. For the duelingbook community because if you delete customs simply because of a few trolls or bad apples, those trolls will win and then feel emboldened to bring their toxicity over to other formats like advanced, goat, speed, rush, turbo, etc, to try getting some of those formats deleted as well. For duelingbook itself because duelingbook relies on ads to keep running, and less fun and attractive formats such as customs/tags means less users being attracted to the site, and less users being attracted to the site means less donations/ad revenue, and less donations/ad revenue means less money to keep the site running.

I mean, if it means FINALLY breaking the chain of CrystalMusic 2.0/3.0/4.0 etc. in the custom pool,

I would rather see these toxic users get slowly but surely frozen or removed from the platform one by one than for all fans of the custom format to be punished.

then it's better to deal with complaints about not having custom cards anymore rather than deal with constant reports of trolls in the format.

It's already against the rules to abuse the report feature, whether or not the issue in question is custom format related. Reports about what goes on in duels should be reserved for rated duels for the most part. It makes little sense to report people in unrated sections like the custom/tag sections as you can simply leave with no consequence if don't like what's going on, unless of course they're still breaking major duelingbook rules like severe harassment such as death threats.

parhelia_0000
Mood:

Post #45 by parhelia_0000 » Mon Jan 31, 2022 6:06 pm

Christen57 wrote:

What 10 page essay?

parhelia_0000 wrote:

I strongly disagree that the custom format should just be deleted outright just because you find yourself losing interest in it or getting frustrated in it. Lil Oldman pointed out earlier that customs "allow for so much creativity and are such a powerful tool, both for casual/regular players looking for a fun time, aswell as for game card designers, this may be the first experience for lots of people in game design" and I agree with this.

Yes, there are people like the aforementioned CrystalMusic/Chaosprince who refuse any criticism and won't make any effort to make their cards more balanced or at least use problem-solving card text, but I still trust that you and many others like you will try balancing your customs, and people still trust that I'll continue to try balancing mine, so it isn't fair to group everyone as "people who cannot be trusted to balance the cards," at least not just yet.

Getting rid of customs simply because of some mean user(s) will do more harm than good at this point, both for the duelingbook community and for duelingbook itself. For the duelingbook community because if you delete customs simply because of a few trolls or bad apples, those trolls will win and then feel emboldened to bring their toxicity over to other formats like advanced, goat, speed, rush, turbo, etc, to try getting some of those formats deleted as well. For duelingbook itself because duelingbook relies on ads to keep running, and less fun and attractive formats such as customs/tags means less users being attracted to the site, and less users being attracted to the site means less donations/ad revenue, and less donations/ad revenue means less money to keep the site running.

I mean, if it means FINALLY breaking the chain of CrystalMusic 2.0/3.0/4.0 etc. in the custom pool,

I would rather see these toxic users get slowly but surely frozen or removed from the platform one by one than for all fans of the custom format to be punished.

then it's better to deal with complaints about not having custom cards anymore rather than deal with constant reports of trolls in the format.

It's already against the rules to abuse the report feature, whether or not the issue in question is custom format related. Reports about what goes on in duels should be reserved for rated duels for the most part. It makes little sense to report people in unrated sections like the custom/tag sections as you can simply leave with no consequence if don't like what's going on, unless of course they're still breaking major duelingbook rules like severe harassment such as death threats.

You have to understand that it's not just PENMASTER or myself who feel that custom cards format should just be deleted. A lot of people on DuelingBook who talk on public chat and/or Main Menu statuses want custom cards gone because of how it attracts negativity in many angles. It's not about whether or not we can include diversity just to maintain the website for a long term anymore. It's about breaking the chain of toxicity with custom cards by deleting the format for good.

greg503

Post #46 by greg503 » Mon Jan 31, 2022 6:08 pm

parhelia_0000 wrote:

Depends on what Xsteven feels like
Buy Floowandereeze

parhelia_0000
Mood:

Post #47 by parhelia_0000 » Mon Jan 31, 2022 6:11 pm

greg503 wrote:
parhelia_0000 wrote:

XSteven, I hope you're keeping track of this thread, because it's becoming clear that the custom card format's toxicity has grown out of control. Said toxicity is already spreading to other formats whether people like it or not. You cannot stop that toxicity, but the least we can do to remediate the issue is to delete the custom card format for good, or at least implement an automatic system that can be enforced that moderates custom cards.

If the community cannot be promised a healthier custom card format where we don't have to worry about trolls anymore, then perhaps the community does not deserve to have the custom cards format in the first place.

parhelia_0000
Mood:

Post #48 by parhelia_0000 » Mon Jan 31, 2022 6:27 pm

Topic title has been amended to: Delete Custom Cards Format for Good.

REASON: After discussing with other DB members, we've come to a conclusion that custom cards format is just unhealthy beyond recovery at this point. Yugitubers such as dzeff and Farfa even figured it out at this point that there is no way to stop the toxicity, because you cannot reason with people who insist on using OP cards, and if you try to use cards to counter their BS cards, then they'll respond by making anti-counter cards and so forth. This chain will never end.

Admins, please seriously consider deleting the custom card format for good. I'm not alone in this - many people on the Main Menu and/or public chat who talk often want custom cards gone, and at this point I can finally see why. There is no way for us to control the toxicity within the custom card format without hefty policing, and if we can't establish an automatic system to deal with inappropriate and/or broken custom cards, then perhaps the community does not deserve the format.

Christen57

Post #49 by Christen57 » Mon Jan 31, 2022 6:41 pm

parhelia_0000 wrote:
Christen57 wrote:

What 10 page essay?

parhelia_0000 wrote:You know what, that's starting to look like not too bad an idea after all. Since people cannot be trusted to balance the cards themselves, and since the admins are unable to set up an automatic custom card review system, I don't feel that custom cards format should even exist anymore at this point.

You have to understand that it's not just PENMASTER or myself who feel that custom cards format should just be deleted. A lot of people on DuelingBook who talk on public chat and/or Main Menu statuses want custom cards gone because of how it attracts negativity in many angles.

Neither public chat nor main menu should be used for requesting the removal of any duelingbook feature to begin with. That's what the Suggestions section of this forum is for, and any requests of the sort that do get posted to the public chat or main menu, instead of Suggestions, should be ignored and not taken into account.

It's not about whether or not we can include diversity just to maintain the website for a long term anymore. It's about breaking the chain of toxicity with custom cards by deleting the format for good.

As stated earlier, any format will attract some negativity. This isn't exclusive to customs, but I think these formats, including customs, attract far more positivity and creativity, than negativity. We just don't see as many people talking about how positive they find the custom format to be because, well, they're just too busy enjoying the custom format to do that. Meanwhile, the much louder and more negative voices are the ones we might hear the most — talking about how negative they find the custom format — giving us the impression that these small groups of loud voices represent the will of the entire custom card community when they don't.
Extreme toxicity should be handled by punishing/freezing the toxic user(s) in question, not by removing an entire format that so many people including myself have grown to genuinely enjoy. Duelingnetwork was filled with just as much toxicity as duelingbook's customs, if not more, back when duelingnetwork was still around. Some people were leaving duelingbook to go join 4chan because duelingnetwork was getting so toxic that it was starting to make even 4chan look good, and that was all without customs.

It's like that saying: "The loudest are usually the haters"... or... was it "the haters are usually the loudest"?

If the community cannot be promised a healthier custom card format where we don't have to worry about trolls anymore, then perhaps the community does not deserve to have the custom cards format in the first place.

Again, it's the individual toxic users, and users intentionally spreading said toxicity, who don't deserve the custom cards format, not the entire community. Punish those extremely toxic users if necessary, not the toxic users + the good ones.

Also, it's spelled Xteven, not XSteven.

Wek

Post #50 by Wek » Mon Jan 31, 2022 6:56 pm

parhelia_0000 wrote:
Wek wrote:
parhelia_0000 wrote:You know what, that's starting to look like not too bad an idea after all. Since people cannot be trusted to balance the cards themselves, and since the admins are unable to set up an automatic custom card review system, I don't feel that custom cards format should even exist anymore at this point.

I mean, if it means FINALLY breaking the chain of CrystalMusic 2.0/3.0/4.0 etc. in the custom pool, then it's better to deal with complaints about not having custom cards anymore rather than deal with constant reports of trolls in the format.

But it doesn't break the chain of trolls, because they're still trolling.
You didn't think this one through very well. :lol:

Wek

Post #51 by Wek » Mon Jan 31, 2022 6:58 pm

Christen57 wrote:

What 10 page essay?

The mile long quote chains of paragraph after paragraph. That thing I didn't quote when I last replied to you because of the length, and instead of just quoting all like 11 parts of the reply I just mentioned which numbers I replied to.

parhelia_0000
Mood:

Post #52 by parhelia_0000 » Mon Jan 31, 2022 6:59 pm

Christen57 wrote:
parhelia_0000 wrote:
Christen57 wrote:
What 10 page essay?

You have to understand that it's not just PENMASTER or myself who feel that custom cards format should just be deleted. A lot of people on DuelingBook who talk on public chat and/or Main Menu statuses want custom cards gone because of how it attracts negativity in many angles.

Neither public chat nor main menu should be used for requesting the removal of any duelingbook feature to begin with. That's what the Suggestions section of this forum is for, and any requests of the sort that do get posted to the public chat or main menu, instead of Suggestions, should be ignored and not taken into account.

It's not about whether or not we can include diversity just to maintain the website for a long term anymore. It's about breaking the chain of toxicity with custom cards by deleting the format for good.

As stated earlier, any format will attract some negativity. This isn't exclusive to customs, but I think these formats, including customs, attract far more positivity and creativity, than negativity. We just don't see as many people talking about how positive they find the custom format to be because, well, they're just too busy enjoying the custom format, while the much louder and more negative voices are the ones we might hear the most — talking about how negative they find the custom format — giving us the impression that these small groups of loud voices represent the will entire custom card community when they don't.
Extreme toxicity should be handled by punishing/freezing the toxic user(s) in question, not by removing an entire format that so many people including myself have grown to genuinely enjoy. Duelingnetwork was filled with just as much toxicity as duelingbook's customs, if not more, back when duelingnetwork was still around. Some people were leaving duelingbook to go join 4chan because duelingnetwork was getting so toxic that it was starting to make even 4chan look good, and that was all without customs.

It's like that saying: "The loudest are usually the haters"... or... was it "the haters are usually the loudest"?

Again, it's the individual toxic users, and users intentionally spreading said toxicity, who don't deserve the custom cards format, not the entire community. Punish those extremely toxic users if necessary, not the toxic users + the good ones.

Also, it's spelled Xteven, not XSteven.

From the looks of it, I'm suspecting the admins won't be punishing CrystalMusic, Chaosprince, Aroma Girl or Ari Bellamy anytime soon given how the admins don't see broken cards and/or their toxicity as rule-breaking. If that's the case, then perhaps it's better for the admins to focus their attention towards the toxicity within the Advanced format and get rid of custom card format altogether, rather than keep custom cards alive and try to keep the burning train going.

Eventually push will have to come with shove. Admins need to acknowledge sooner or later that custom cards' toxicity will become uncontrollable, and that the downfall of custom cards will be inevitable, whether it be toxic players ruining the format beyond recovery to the point where almost everyone (if not literally everyone) wants custom cards gone, or admins taking action now to break the chain of toxicity by ridding DB of the custom cards format. Need proof? Watch the following videos made by dzeeff and you'll see my point:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpvZLLFZ4nA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_IcyDyQK0O0

Christen, I understand that you have good intentions for the custom card community; however, you have to understand sooner or later that you're fighting a losing battle. You have evidence all around you that custom cards will never be truly balanced, toxic players will eventually drive the entire custom card format to the ground (if they haven't already done so), and eventually the community in its majority will want the format gone. Take it however you'd like, but honestly I don't see any redeeming qualities of custom card format at this point.
Last edited by parhelia_0000 on Mon Jan 31, 2022 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

parhelia_0000
Mood:

Post #53 by parhelia_0000 » Mon Jan 31, 2022 7:00 pm

Wek wrote:
parhelia_0000 wrote:
Wek wrote:

But it doesn't break the chain of trolls, because they're still trolling.
You didn't think this one through very well. :lol:

At the end of the day, it's better for admins to focus their attention towards the Advanced Format toxicity rather than allow custom cards format to stay alive while toxic players burn the entire format to the ground.

troglyte
Mood:

Post #54 by troglyte » Mon Jan 31, 2022 7:02 pm

As the local Rush Duelist, I can say that I find it very cringe when people make custom Rush Cards. Making spammy super fast aggro custom rush decks kinda undermines the format's original vision. Rush Duels was designed to be a simpler, slimmed down version of the game for newer players or long-time casual players disillusioned with the original game, like myself. Maybe that vision will be muddied as time goes on, but simplicity was what attracted to me to the format in the first place.

Customs are Gay, Rush Duels are Cray, Play Rush Duels plz, it's so much fun.
Crab Turtle respects your pronouns.
he/him
Sign the Crab Turtle petition here! http://chng.it/J4rvHFFfZG

parhelia_0000
Mood:

Post #55 by parhelia_0000 » Mon Jan 31, 2022 7:05 pm

troglyte wrote:As the local Rush Duelist, I can say that I find it very cringe when people make custom Rush Cards. Making spammy super fast aggro custom rush decks kinda undermines the format's original vision. Rush Duels was designed to be a simpler, slimmed down version of the game for newer players or long-time casual players disillusioned with the original game, like myself. Maybe that vision will be muddied as time goes on, but simplicity was what attracted to me to the format in the first place.

Customs are Gay, Rush Duels are Cray, Play Rush Duels plz, it's so much fun.

I have to agree with that. Rush duels I find to be a much better vision of a simpler format where people don't have to worry about dealing with the meta all the time. Custom format has gone on for far too long with the toxicity that never stops, and at this point the only way I see to break that chain of toxicity is to shut down custom cards for good.

Wek

Post #56 by Wek » Mon Jan 31, 2022 7:10 pm

parhelia_0000 wrote:
greg503 wrote:

XSteven, I hope you're keeping track of this thread, because it's becoming clear that the custom card format's toxicity has grown out of control. Said toxicity is already spreading to other formats whether people like it or not. You cannot stop that toxicity, but the least we can do to remediate the issue is to delete the custom card format for good, or at least implement an automatic system that can be enforced that moderates custom cards.

Why would Xteven be keeping track of a trash thread like this one? :lol: A custom troll has made a thread complaining how a format that's not real isn't making them happy and how salty they are about other custom trolls. A cardpool that isn't suffering any serious issues is unlikely to be taken down though, so I'm not too worried about garbage like this thread spreading. I just choose not to duel trolls and I can choose to enjoy the usage of customs instead when I'm in the mood for messing with customs.

parhelia_0000
Mood:

Post #57 by parhelia_0000 » Mon Jan 31, 2022 7:11 pm

Wek wrote:
parhelia_0000 wrote:
greg503 wrote:Depends on what Xsteven feels like

Why would Xteven be keeping track of a trash thread like this one? :lol: A custom troll has made a thread complaining how a format that's not real isn't making them happy and how salty they are about other custom trolls. A cardpool that isn't suffering any serious issues is unlikely to be taken down though, so I'm not too worried about garbage like this thread spreading. I just choose not to duel trolls and I can choose to enjoy the usage of customs instead when I'm in the mood for messing with customs.

I'm done with you accusing me as a troll. I'm blocking you, goodbye.

parhelia_0000
Mood:

Post #58 by parhelia_0000 » Mon Jan 31, 2022 9:21 pm

If you still don't believe that custom cards needs to be deleted, please watch this replay. This just proves that you cannot reason with people who refuse to learn. https://www.duelingbook.com/replay?id=37528-36059412

If this replay doesn't prove that custom cards needs to be shut down, I don't know what will. 'Cause as long as there's no one policing the custom card pool, we'll always have to dread of these toxic players who ruin the entire format for the rest of us. It's better off that we shut it down for good.

Lil Oldman
Mood:

Post #59 by Lil Oldman » Mon Jan 31, 2022 9:38 pm

Then dont deal with them. You're talking as if you are being forced to deal with them. You will always run into good and bad people. Removing an entire game mode just because you cant deal with a type of users is unreasonable, not to mention that there's people who don't mind these experiences or use dB Customs as a platform for their own private matches.
"Complacency? How rude. I live the stifling life of a high school student in our problematic modern society."
Help I cannot remove this music from my head
https://youtu.be/ZuXI7qcNsHQ
Will try reviewing custom cards if they look interesting.

parhelia_0000
Mood:

Post #60 by parhelia_0000 » Mon Jan 31, 2022 9:46 pm

This is my open letter to Xteven, Genexwrecker and other administrators:

I don't know what was going through your mind when you created the custom card format in DB, but troglyte, PENMASTER and I believe that the format has created more negativity than positivity in the game. We're seeing too many incidents time and again where people bring in broken cards that ruin the format for others, forcing people like me to make broken cards just to be able to survive that format or just lose. Attempts were made to balance the format by many others, to no avail. The majority of custom card servers never make it through the first few months for this very reason.

It's not just a small handful of people who ruin the custom card format for the rest of us anymore. Now, the toxicity has spread throughout, with more and more people creating broken custom cards to the point where custom card format can be renamed "broken card format." It's turned from a fair competition of fair and balanced games into "who can create the most ridiculous, broken card" contest. Attempts were made to convince these people to balance their cards; however, such reasoning only fell on deaf ears, with people arguing that "it's custom cards, I can do whatever I want."

Even for an unranked format, this is too much toxicity that the rest of us have to deal with. Nobody should have to deal with this toxicity in the game, and troglyte, PENMASTER and I believe that this has gone on for far too long.

On behalf of the rest of DB community that want this platform to thrive and survive as a healthier Yugioh website, I am strongly urging the admins, including Xteven, to strongly consider shutting down the custom card format and purging any and all custom cards that have been made thus far in the game. I understand that the custom card lovers will not want to see this happen; however, this is a recommendation that I am not making lightly. PENMASTER, troglyte, dzeeff, and many others all feel that it'll do more harm than good in terms of long-term logistics to try and keep custom cards format alive. We feel that it is best for the admins to focus their attention towards formats that are official, rather than try to create other formats that will only serve as places where people can spread toxicity and hate towards others.

The recent replay that I've posted above should serve as proof that toxic players ruining the custom cards for others has also soured my relationship with the custom card format. As much as I'd love to see the custom cards remain on the website, I must take the need of others' mental health and enjoyment of the game into consideration. Yugioh should be a game where people can have fun, and unfortunately, custom card format does not do any good to contribute to such cause. Please consider.

Thank you,
parhelia_0000

Return to “Suggestions”