Not enough (if any) Judges on EU times

If you have a suggestion for the site, create a topic here and telll us about it
Genexwrecker

Re: Not enough (if any) Judges on EU times

Post #21 by Genexwrecker » Fri Oct 29, 2021 2:04 am

Christen57 wrote:
Genexwrecker wrote:
Sound4 wrote:This is not a good example you judges passed the exam and agreed to judge. To run a lemonade stand you don't sign up for nothing.

I didnt pass an exam and get hired I'm literally here to help a friend with his hobby website. Yes we have a venting process because we dont want random people to have authority on the website.

Reegar wrote:Scheduled judging doesn't work unfortunately on DB. There is a difference between directing a play for example or judging on DB.
a) If you were directing a play you would have to show up in person, which does differ a lot from online, where people are more prone to be less reliable
b) a play would probably not function if the director wouldn't show up, DB works, for the most part, without judges (not that many duels actual require one)
c) such things are scheduled like once a week at a point everyone has time, where as on DB, you are of help whenever you show up

I could probably list more, but you get the basic idea. You can't compare every volunteer work to each other. We do require our judges to be at least somewhat active and we do remove some from time to time. We are trying to compensate not having a schedule by simply hiring more judges, but unfortunately either the exam is too hard, not enough people want to take it or simply not enough users have the required ruling knowledge. A fact also to mention is that this isn't really a job where you get appreciated a lot. Often, you will rule against a user and they will simply not be happy about the result and start insulting, spamming, threatning you, etc. Some judges do not care about that, but this can be a turn off, especially to new judges, which causes them to be inactive.

There is also more work behind the scenes then just taking judge calls, it is still a website that in general needs to be moderated, that includes this forum for example. I don't know if you guys have ever filed an abuse or ban appeal before, but that is also very time consuming.

Not everything is as black and white as it seems.

Can you at least make it so duelingbook doesn't automatically kick you for inactivity while you're waiting for a judge so that way you don't have to keep clicking the Shuffle Hand button or something every minute to keep duelingbook from thinking you're inactive?
No they shouldnt be afk while waiting for a judge in the first place.
Official Duelingbook Support staff
Official Duelingbook Resource Judge
Official Duelingbook Tournament Admin.(Other tournament Admin is Runzy)

Renji Asuka

Post #22 by Renji Asuka » Fri Oct 29, 2021 4:16 am

Genexwrecker wrote:
Christen57 wrote:
Genexwrecker wrote:I didnt pass an exam and get hired I'm literally here to help a friend with his hobby website. Yes we have a venting process because we dont want random people to have authority on the website.

Reegar wrote:Scheduled judging doesn't work unfortunately on DB. There is a difference between directing a play for example or judging on DB.
a) If you were directing a play you would have to show up in person, which does differ a lot from online, where people are more prone to be less reliable
b) a play would probably not function if the director wouldn't show up, DB works, for the most part, without judges (not that many duels actual require one)
c) such things are scheduled like once a week at a point everyone has time, where as on DB, you are of help whenever you show up

I could probably list more, but you get the basic idea. You can't compare every volunteer work to each other. We do require our judges to be at least somewhat active and we do remove some from time to time. We are trying to compensate not having a schedule by simply hiring more judges, but unfortunately either the exam is too hard, not enough people want to take it or simply not enough users have the required ruling knowledge. A fact also to mention is that this isn't really a job where you get appreciated a lot. Often, you will rule against a user and they will simply not be happy about the result and start insulting, spamming, threatning you, etc. Some judges do not care about that, but this can be a turn off, especially to new judges, which causes them to be inactive.

There is also more work behind the scenes then just taking judge calls, it is still a website that in general needs to be moderated, that includes this forum for example. I don't know if you guys have ever filed an abuse or ban appeal before, but that is also very time consuming.

Not everything is as black and white as it seems.

Can you at least make it so duelingbook doesn't automatically kick you for inactivity while you're waiting for a judge so that way you don't have to keep clicking the Shuffle Hand button or something every minute to keep duelingbook from thinking you're inactive?

But they are not being afk though. They are just waiting on a judge to appear for how long it takes.
Showing people that I'm The King of Games since September 30, 1996.

Genexwrecker

Post #23 by Genexwrecker » Fri Oct 29, 2021 5:10 am

Renji Asuka wrote:
Genexwrecker wrote:
Christen57 wrote:

But they are not being afk though. They are just waiting on a judge to appear for how long it takes.
so are you saying have a separate timeout function for if a judge call is placed? Cause that is a very bad idea.
Official Duelingbook Support staff
Official Duelingbook Resource Judge
Official Duelingbook Tournament Admin.(Other tournament Admin is Runzy)

Renji Asuka

Post #24 by Renji Asuka » Fri Oct 29, 2021 1:34 pm

Genexwrecker wrote:
Renji Asuka wrote:
Genexwrecker wrote:No they shouldnt be afk while waiting for a judge in the first place.

so are you saying have a separate timeout function for if a judge call is placed? Cause that is a very bad idea.

That is what they were asking for. Not I. I'm just clarifying what was being asked.
Showing people that I'm The King of Games since September 30, 1996.

Return to “Suggestions”