Adding "thinking" option

If you have a suggestion for the site, create a topic here and telll us about it
Dinosaur_Ryusaki

Adding "thinking" option

Post #1 by Dinosaur_Ryusaki » Fri Aug 27, 2021 11:27 pm

You recently added the "OK" option on DuelingBook during a duel, why not adding the "Thinking" option?
To best the duel experience it's actually important to make everything fast and easy, and sometimes when your opponent is doing a combo link pendulum that option would actually be better because you don't waste all your time on writing none complex stuff.

greg503

Post #2 by greg503 » Sat Aug 28, 2021 1:22 am

Is "wait" too slow to type these days?
Buy Floowandereeze

Renji Asuka

Post #3 by Renji Asuka » Sat Aug 28, 2021 6:31 am

The OK button shouldn't had been added, and adding "thinking" or a "wait" button shouldn't be added either. Learn to use the chat function.
Showing people that I'm The King of Games since September 30, 1996.

Dinosaur_Ryusaki

Post #4 by Dinosaur_Ryusaki » Mon Dec 20, 2021 10:47 am

I guess I had been wrong since all time.

Christen57

Post #5 by Christen57 » Mon Dec 20, 2021 3:47 pm

Renji Asuka wrote:The OK button shouldn't had been added, and adding "thinking" or a "wait" button shouldn't be added either. Learn to use the chat function.

You're welcome to not use the ok button in your own duels if you don't like it. Others like myself on the other hand like it and will use it.

Now, assuming we do get a thinking option, I suggest making the icon look like this:

Lil Oldman
Mood:

Post #6 by Lil Oldman » Mon Dec 20, 2021 7:43 pm

The "think" option sounds like a good idea. It simplifies the process of the game, allowing for easier and faster communication.
"Complacency? How rude. I live the stifling life of a high school student in our problematic modern society."
Help I cannot remove this music from my head
https://youtu.be/ZuXI7qcNsHQ
Will try reviewing custom cards if they look interesting.

Christen57

Post #7 by Christen57 » Mon Dec 20, 2021 9:42 pm

greg503 wrote:Is "wait" too slow to type these days?

Dinosaur_Ryusaki wrote:I guess I had been wrong since all time.

Lil Oldman wrote:The "think" option sounds like a good idea. It simplifies the process of the game, allowing for easier and faster communication.

Well what do you know? Within hours after I first made that suggestion to use that specific icon to indicate "thinking" I log into duelingbook and go into solo mode to see a thinking option with that specific icon!

Renji Asuka

Post #8 by Renji Asuka » Tue Dec 21, 2021 3:59 am

Christen57 wrote:
Renji Asuka wrote:The OK button shouldn't had been added, and adding "thinking" or a "wait" button shouldn't be added either. Learn to use the chat function.

You're welcome to not use the ok button in your own duels if you don't like it. Others like myself on the other hand like it and will use it

I'm against anything that would make the chat obsolete. That is why I don't like the OK option, that is why I don't like the "think" option. And I also don't like using the green buttons on cards (unless it's something like Pot of Extravagance or or Pot of Prosperity because players would bitch otherwise).

Christen57

Post #9 by Christen57 » Tue Dec 21, 2021 4:16 am

Renji Asuka wrote:
Christen57 wrote:

You're welcome to not use the ok button in your own duels if you don't like it. Others like myself on the other hand like it and will use it

I'm against anything that would make the chat obsolete. That is why I don't like the OK option, that is why I don't like the "think" option. And I also don't like using the green buttons on cards (unless it's something like Pot of Extravagance or or Pot of Prosperity because players would bitch otherwise).

None of those have made the chat obsolete. The chat can and will still be used for things like declaring levels with Gagaga Magician, declaring names with Prohibition, communicating certain issues like ruling disputes, and so on. You're being paranoid over nothing.

Renji Asuka

Post #10 by Renji Asuka » Tue Dec 21, 2021 4:31 am

Christen57 wrote:
Renji Asuka wrote:
Christen57 wrote:

None of those have made the chat obsolete. The chat can and will still be used for things like declaring levels with Gagaga Magician, declaring names with Prohibition, communicating certain issues like ruling disputes, and so on. You're being paranoid over nothing.

I'm not being paranoid. Every button that gets added because people are too lazy to use the chat makes the chat more and more obsolete.

Lil Oldman
Mood:

Post #11 by Lil Oldman » Tue Dec 21, 2021 4:33 am

Renji Asuka wrote:
Christen57 wrote:
Renji Asuka wrote:I'm against anything that would make the chat obsolete. That is why I don't like the OK option, that is why I don't like the "think" option. And I also don't like using the green buttons on cards (unless it's something like Pot of Extravagance or or Pot of Prosperity because players would bitch otherwise).

I'm not being paranoid. Every button that gets added because people are too lazy to use the chat makes the chat more and more obsolete.

There's absolutely no difference between using the "OK"/"Think" buttons and saying it in the chat, it just accelerates the actual dueling.
"Complacency? How rude. I live the stifling life of a high school student in our problematic modern society."

Renji Asuka

Post #12 by Renji Asuka » Tue Dec 21, 2021 4:49 am

Lil Oldman wrote:
Renji Asuka wrote:
Christen57 wrote:

There's absolutely no difference between using the "OK"/"Think" buttons and saying it in the chat, it just accelerates the actual dueling.

You cannot convince me otherwise. I find it reprehensible that these buttons would even exist.

Lil Oldman
Mood:

Post #13 by Lil Oldman » Tue Dec 21, 2021 4:53 am

Renji Asuka wrote:
Lil Oldman wrote:
Renji Asuka wrote:I'm not being paranoid. Every button that gets added because people are too lazy to use the chat makes the chat more and more obsolete.

You cannot convince me otherwise. I find it reprehensible that these buttons would even exist.

What is the difference then? I don't get it. what's the difference between typing out "k" or "thinking" and just pressing the dedicated buttons?

Renji Asuka

Post #14 by Renji Asuka » Tue Dec 21, 2021 4:56 am

Lil Oldman wrote:
Renji Asuka wrote:
Lil Oldman wrote:There's absolutely no difference between using the "OK"/"Think" buttons and saying it in the chat, it just accelerates the actual dueling.

What is the difference then? I don't get it. what's the difference between typing out "k" or "thinking" and just pressing the dedicated buttons?

Because it takes away from using the chat function to convey those same messages.

Christen57

Post #15 by Christen57 » Tue Dec 21, 2021 5:01 am

Renji Asuka wrote:
Christen57 wrote:
Renji Asuka wrote:I'm against anything that would make the chat obsolete. That is why I don't like the OK option, that is why I don't like the "think" option. And I also don't like using the green buttons on cards (unless it's something like Pot of Extravagance or or Pot of Prosperity because players would bitch otherwise).

I refuted this "more and more buttons are being added only because people are getting lazier and lazier" argument already and I'll do it again in case you forgot.

We like having these buttons not because we want to be lazy but because we want to be efficient. Efficiency is about getting either an equal amount of work done but with less time and energy, or a higher amount of work done but with the same amount of time and energy as before. Laziness is simply about getting less work done.

In this case, the "work done" is conveying to the opponent that you're thinking. There are 2 ways you can get this "work done". You can type "thinking" in the chat and hit Enter, or have a button for it that you can trigger with a single click. The latter option is the more efficient option because you're still getting the same "work done" as before — conveying to the opponent that you're thinking — just with less time and energy. Clicking a single button to convey that you're thinking is faster and takes less energy than typing 9 inputs in total:
  1. T
  2. H
  3. I
  4. N
  5. K
  6. I
  7. N
  8. G
  9. Enter

So instead of having to do 9 inputs in total to get the "work done" of conveying to the opponent that you're thinking, you can instead now do 1 input to get that same amount of "work done" of conveying to the opponent that you're thinking — a single input that takes less time and energy than 9 inputs, meaning instead of 9 inputs in total just to convey to the opponent that you're thinking, you now need just 1 input — a mouse click. The amount of work you're getting done doesn't change, so there's no "laziness" here. You're still doing the same amount of work as before — conveying to the opponent that you're thinking — just with less time and energy.

Again, not laziness, but rather efficiency. Real laziness would be something like not bothering to communicate to the opponent at all that you're thinking, and instead expecting the opponent to just read your mind and know at all times when you are and aren't thinking without doing anything to actually communicate to them that you're thinking.

Have I made this concept clear now, in a way that's easy to understand?

Lil Oldman
Mood:

Post #16 by Lil Oldman » Tue Dec 21, 2021 5:08 am

Renji Asuka wrote:
Lil Oldman wrote:
Renji Asuka wrote:You cannot convince me otherwise. I find it reprehensible that these buttons would even exist.

Because it takes away from using the chat function to convey those same messages.

And is there a point for it to be said in chat when you can simplify it? It isn't as if the words "k" or "think" convey a deep enough message to warrant you to take away from the game's momentum. There's a reason people already reduced the total of inputs you actually need. reducing "Ok" to "k" or "Thinking" to "Think". Imagine having to type out the different monsters you want to attack, it just makes the process slower and more tedious overall.

Renji Asuka

Post #17 by Renji Asuka » Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:05 am

You're still not going to change my mind on the subject you too. I will remain steadfast that it's just laziness to use these buttons when there is a chat you can use.

greg503

Post #18 by greg503 » Tue Dec 21, 2021 3:17 pm

Renji Asuka wrote:You're still not going to change my mind on the subject you too. I will remain steadfast that it's just laziness to use these buttons when there is a chat you can use.

But the chat still HAS important features, like being able to type "/banish 5" as a shortcut for the excavating effects of Adamancipators.
Buy Floowandereeze

Renji Asuka

Post #19 by Renji Asuka » Tue Dec 21, 2021 3:30 pm

greg503 wrote:
Renji Asuka wrote:You're still not going to change my mind on the subject you too. I will remain steadfast that it's just laziness to use these buttons when there is a chat you can use.

But the chat still HAS important features, like being able to type "/banish 5" as a shortcut for the excavating effects of Adamancipators.

Yes it has important features. I didn't deny that. Implementing buttons when people can just type it out caters to the lazy while devaluing the chat. That's my opinion and it'll never change.

Return to “Suggestions”