[Discontinued] Instructions on how to remove ads, as well as the discord widget, from duelingbook's main menu

If you have a suggestion for the site, create a topic here and telll us about it
Christen57

[Discontinued] Instructions on how to remove ads, as well as the discord widget, from duelingbook's main menu

Post #1 by Christen57 » Thu Jul 01, 2021 5:05 pm

As of August 2023, the discord widget is now hidden from duelingbook's main menu by default, making the method in this guide obsolete. However, uBlock Origin is still recommended for blocking ads, as those haven't yet gone away.
This guide will remain archived. The original title of this thread was "Instructions on how to permanently remove ads, as well as the new discord widget, from duelingbook's main menu".

Duelingbook recently got updated causing a new discord widget to be added to the main menu.

Not sure what made Xteven think adding this was a good idea, especially since things like these can slow down a machine. The more unnecessary things a computer has to load and render, the more it slows down the computer. It's the reason websites filled with ads tend to run very slowly. https://www.quora.com/Are-all-those-computer-ads-slowing-down-our-computers-If-yes-why

At least I'm not the only one who isn't a fan of this.

For this tutorial, I won't be using javascript. Instead I'll be using an extension called uBlock Origin.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/ublock-origin/cjpalhdlnbpafiamejdnhcphjbkeiagm?hl=en

Firefox users should use this link instead: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/ublock-origin/

To get this extension for your browser, click on the "Add to Chrome" button (or the "Add to Firefox" button if you're using Firefox), and if it asks you if you're sure you want to get it, choose "Add extension" (if you're on Firefox, choose "Add").

Then the extension will be added to your browser.

Once the extension is added to your browser, right click on the discord widget and click "Block element..."

Look for where it says ###widget.revamped.selectable and click on that.

If done correctly, the discord widget should disappear permanently, even if you refresh the page.

To bring back the discord widget, you can do one of 2 things. The first is that you can right click on the uBlock Origin icon and choose the option to remove the uBlock Origin extension from your browser, then refresh the duelinbook page.

The second way is to click on the uBlock Origin icon, then click on the little 3 gears to open up the settings, then go to "My Filters" and remove "www.duelingbook.com##.revamped.selectable" from the list, then click "Apply Changes" and refresh the duelingbook page.

uBlock Origin should also automatically remove the ads from duelingbook for you when you install that extension and refresh the duelingbook page.

Now you don't have to worry about these unnecessary things slowing down your machine.
Last edited by Christen57 on Sat Aug 19, 2023 6:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Wek

Post #2 by Wek » Thu Jul 01, 2021 5:08 pm

Next step. How to permanently remove main menu. :)

james123
Mood:

Post #3 by james123 » Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:10 pm

I find the Discord Widget thing a little harmless because it's more like an advertisement than a thing

Lil Oldman
Mood:

Post #4 by Lil Oldman » Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:34 pm

james123 wrote:I find the Discord Widget thing a little harmless because it's more like an advertisement than a thing

It is harmless until it starts to reduce performance.
"Complacency? How rude. I live the stifling life of a high school student in our problematic modern society."
Help I cannot remove this music from my head
https://youtu.be/ZuXI7qcNsHQ
Will try reviewing custom cards if they look interesting.

Christen57

Post #5 by Christen57 » Fri Jul 02, 2021 4:17 pm

Wek wrote:Next step. How to permanently remove main menu. :)

Genexwrecker

Post #6 by Genexwrecker » Fri Jul 02, 2021 4:59 pm

Iv asked xteven to remove it
Official Duelingbook Support staff
Official Duelingbook Resource Judge
Official Duelingbook Tournament Admin.(Other tournament Admin is Runzy)

james123
Mood:

Post #7 by james123 » Fri Jul 02, 2021 5:16 pm

Lil Oldman wrote:
james123 wrote:I find the Discord Widget thing a little harmless because it's more like an advertisement than a thing

It is harmless until it starts to reduce performance.

I mean I have a Powerful Gamer Computer, because my Old Laptop is what to slow to run Higher End games n shiot and can't do VR

PENMASTER

Post #8 by PENMASTER » Sat Jul 03, 2021 3:20 am

Christen57 you are a real one thanks for sharing your hackermans skillz with us
love2hate

Excelionz

Post #9 by Excelionz » Sat Jul 03, 2021 8:55 am

I got IP banned for critisizing the Discord banner so be careful what you say guys. Also you can use this link to get rid of it and get the old MM back: https://www.duelingbook.com/?revamped=false

Renji Asuka

Post #10 by Renji Asuka » Sat Jul 03, 2021 12:59 pm

Excelionz wrote:I got IP banned for critisizing the Discord banner so be careful what you say guys. Also you can use this link to get rid of it and get the old MM back: https://www.duelingbook.com/?revamped=false

I highly doubt you were IP Banned for criticizing the Discord Banner. You probably done something in the past that the judges finally got around to enforcing a rule causing your ban and it just happened to be coincidence.
Showing people that I'm The King of Games since September 30, 1996.

Excelionz

Post #11 by Excelionz » Sat Jul 03, 2021 9:16 pm

Well I haven't been notified why I got banned and I don't remember breaking any rules.

Genexwrecker

Post #12 by Genexwrecker » Sat Jul 03, 2021 10:28 pm

Excelionz wrote:Well I haven't been notified why I got banned and I don't remember breaking any rules.

This is usually because you havent read the rules

Christen57

Post #13 by Christen57 » Sat Jul 03, 2021 10:41 pm

Genexwrecker wrote:
Excelionz wrote:Well I haven't been notified why I got banned and I don't remember breaking any rules.

So why did he get in trouble?

PENMASTER

Post #14 by PENMASTER » Sun Jul 04, 2021 12:32 am

i still think people have a right to know what their punished for to defend themselves against wrong doing by judges kinda makes you question why we have an appeal system
love2hate

Genexwrecker

Post #15 by Genexwrecker » Sun Jul 04, 2021 5:50 am

PENMASTER wrote:i still think people have a right to know what their punished for to defend themselves against wrong doing by judges kinda makes you question why we have an appeal system

kinda cant notify somebody if they are literally removed from the site itself. Which at that point we shouldnt even need to contact you again if you consistantly break the rules so much as to warrant removal from the site itself as you were given plenty of chances to change the behavior and stop breaking the rules. as for beginner and freezes we do provide reasons upon requests. the only thing we dont adress due to its different nature is removing posting perms.
Last edited by Genexwrecker on Sun Jul 04, 2021 5:53 am, edited 2 times in total.

Genexwrecker

Post #16 by Genexwrecker » Sun Jul 04, 2021 5:51 am

Christen57 wrote:
Genexwrecker wrote:

So why did he get in trouble?

Its an alt they know the reason.

Excelionz

Post #17 by Excelionz » Sun Jul 04, 2021 8:54 am

I mean this thread isn't about me actually but I got banned from main menu so why not. Well I haven't been informed about any bad behaiviour prior the ban. I haven't trolled with alt accounts either. I would understand if I did something really bad but I didn't. I may have called people idiots or something like that in the past but does that justify IP banning without a former warning? It's kinda harsh imo. I'd be fine if I got muted but excluding me from the website makes me kinda sad. I liked DB and I liked playing there and it was great for testing. The only thing I can really think of is that I called the Discord banner annoying and made 1 or 2 memes about it.

PENMASTER

Post #18 by PENMASTER » Sun Jul 04, 2021 4:34 pm

Genexwrecker wrote:
PENMASTER wrote:i still think people have a right to know what their punished for to defend themselves against wrong doing by judges kinda makes you question why we have an appeal system

kinda cant notify somebody if they are literally removed from the site itself. Which at that point we shouldnt even need to contact you again if you consistantly break the rules so much as to warrant removal from the site itself as you were given plenty of chances to change the behavior and stop breaking the rules. as for beginner and freezes we do provide reasons upon requests. the only thing we dont adress due to its different nature is removing posting perms.

well other then perm bans people should have reasons and the evidence used against them to defend themselves i know its possible because someone put a harassment report against me which and when a judge pmed me to inform me about this and give a warning i had asked and they gave it to me i didn't think it was harassment but still i know its possible
love2hate

Genexwrecker

Post #19 by Genexwrecker » Sun Jul 04, 2021 4:36 pm

Most freezes are done with the person present so they very well know the reason why. And as I said those who arent can ask the reason

Christen57

Post #20 by Christen57 » Sun Jul 04, 2021 8:18 pm

Genexwrecker wrote:Most freezes are done with the person present so they very well know the reason why. And as I said those who arent can ask the reason

He himself said he doesn't "remember breaking any rules" so you should remind him of the rules he broke.

Return to “Suggestions”