Mute system needs a fix

If you have a suggestion for the site, create a topic here and telll us about it
Last Laugh

Mute system needs a fix

Post #1 by Last Laugh » Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:27 am

The mute system on main menu is fair in a way I guess but the way it's handled in my opinion is so bad.

You don't get told how long or why you are muted and perma mutes just shouldn't be a thing tbh.

I do NOT break MM rules however I've just heard bad feedback and it's sad to see 'cool' people leave because of this.

!Thanos is muted and he was one of the coolest people on the site.
Last edited by Last Laugh on Sat Mar 13, 2021 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PENMASTER

Post #2 by PENMASTER » Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:47 am

yea knowing why and how long should be there from the start for everything everytime
love2hate

DarkPhenix

Post #3 by DarkPhenix » Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:52 am

People who break rules does not make them "cool." It makes them rule breakers. Just because a well known user gets muted and they are "cool" does not excuse what they did.
RC-1, PC-1 Konami® Certified Judge

Last Laugh

Post #4 by Last Laugh » Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:55 am

That still does not justify a bad system for handling punishment, there should be NO reason to perma mute someone unless they spam illegal links or something. (I'm not muted) I'm just raising a point because there have been lots of people who are unhappy about this and probably quit db because of a flaw in the system. You should still get told why you are muted and how long and just ban the fucker instead of a perma mute.

Last Laugh

Post #5 by Last Laugh » Sat Mar 13, 2021 4:34 pm

https://imgur.com/4gyTFvY

MM is just ruined if people are getting muted left and right, if MM isn't interesting then it's better to delete it completely.

Avianne

Post #6 by Avianne » Sat Mar 13, 2021 5:11 pm

I think the Mute system is fair and isn't. I think the way the Mute system is being executed isn't fair at all given how the users are given 0 knowledge of the fact that they are muted and for what the reason is which leads into the following; How are you supposed to appeal for a Mute?

Well you can't, and you aren't aware if you are Muted or not at first anyway. Like sure, while using the main menu you are to use common sense as you should think about what you are posting and if it is appropriate or not. So while avoiding a Mute is preventable, it is not like handling a Frozen or Banned account where you have a status and are aware of the state your account is in.

The fact that the judges and admins will not give you any reason whatsoever, is unfair, also given the fact that we can not appeal for this course of action. I think the system would be more fair if people received a notification as of the reason they are muted. Given that the reason is a legitimate excuse, as I believe all will and should be, there should be no arguments to this case. Like handling a Freeze or a Ban.

But it is the FACT that the judges and admins withhold this information so you are not able to properly appeal or defend yourself, so it is not fair to the users at all who don't know exactly what the issue is or what they are trying to appeal so it does not help the users in any way, shape or form. This just kills the incentive for people to come back after receiving a punishment that they are unable to appeal for.

The way this is being handled, isn't fair to the users at all. They might as well as ban anyone that they don't like and give them the middle finger when they ask why, since that is how it already is. Basically, it is a one-sided fight that you can not win because the administrators refuse to cooperate with their community.
"Blind as a bee, bold like a bird"-Avianne

Genexwrecker

Post #7 by Genexwrecker » Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:11 pm

The point of a mute is you don’t know you are muted. Or are encouraged to not try and evade something. We have our rules and policies page which shows what is appropriate. Keep in mind you never get muted if you break the rules you only get muted if it’s consistent. People who end up muted have shown a complete disregard for the rules and are not really entitled to anything.
Official Duelingbook Support staff
Official Duelingbook Resource Judge
Official Duelingbook Tournament Admin.(Other tournament Admin is Runzy)

PENMASTER

Post #8 by PENMASTER » Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:32 pm

Genexwrecker wrote:The point of a mute is you don’t know you are muted. Or are encouraged to not try and evade something. We have our rules and policies page which shows what is appropriate. Keep in mind you never get muted if you break the rules you only get muted if it’s consistent. People who end up muted have shown a complete disregard for the rules and are not really entitled to anything.

first thing "The point of a mute is you don’t know you are muted. Or are encouraged to not try and evade something"
thats the most bs thing I've heard because once they cant post their gonna know if their gonna evade whats a few hours or min gonna do.
second thing and the reason the appeal system is in place is to catch when your systems don't work and people who don't do something are entitled to something my guy just the worst logic sometimes with yall its just don't break the rules everytime with no other reasons and if there is its bs
love2hate

Genexwrecker

Post #9 by Genexwrecker » Sun Mar 14, 2021 12:10 am

Let me rephrase that the little people know about a last resort the more effective it is

Mutes also cannot be appealed

Renji Asuka

Post #10 by Renji Asuka » Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:08 am

Genexwrecker wrote:Let me rephrase that the little people know about a last resort the more effective it is

So, if a mute is a last resort, then are there warnings?
Showing people that I'm The King of Games since September 30, 1996.

Genexwrecker

Post #11 by Genexwrecker » Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:59 am

Yes and they may not be direct messages they are made extremely apparent and clear when they are doing things they shouldn’t. It usually starts with us judges if we see rules broken we freeze for spam. That is your one wake up call. If a user does something breaking the rules or such they will generally be asked to remove the post themselves or stop posting in that manner if it is flat out blatant disregard for the rules there is no need for any warnings. For example if a person circumvents the status post timer to spam they obviously don’t need any warnings.

Monarch Snow

Post #12 by Monarch Snow » Sun Mar 14, 2021 4:02 am

Can we take a moment to acknowledge that Main Menu was a mistake in both concept and practice?
Literally, its purpose (now at least) is serving as shitpost central, except glorified.

No offense to you Last Laugh (literally none, I'm not directing this as an attack), but threads like this are entirely pointless because the feature being disputed is pointless.
X_X
RC-1, PC-1, & DC-1 Konami® Certified Judge
Retired Duelingbook Tournament Organizer
Retired Ozone Host/Administrator
Retired Judge in DU, DNx, /r/ Subrredit Discord, & The Ruling Zone
Founder of i3 & Harmonic Souls: Organized Play

Last Laugh

Post #13 by Last Laugh » Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:35 am

thanks for feedback I guess, I mean if it's just for shitposting then let it be that at full power is what I'm saying or delete it tbh but I kinda like it at times.

you're right snow tbh

Genexwrecker

Post #14 by Genexwrecker » Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:36 am

Only reason we moderate it is cause its the first thing you see when you log in

Avianne

Post #15 by Avianne » Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:37 pm

Genexwrecker wrote:Let me rephrase that the little people know about a last resort the more effective it is

Answer me this. If an account has been muted they have no notification of the action, nor are they given the reason. Because of the lack of communication what is stopping them from making the same mistake again? Because they are given no reason, nor are they aware that their account has been muted. They are more than likely going to make the same mistake again without even realizing it. So the whole system just sets them up to be terminated later on.

So how can you expect them to even learn from this when they are not notified of the issue mor given reason for the mute.
It is an unfair and broken system and you can not prove me otherwise. It isn't effective because no one learns from this.

If someone really wants to change and not have their account muted again or even banned later on in the future, communicate with them. Show them exactly what they are doing so they understand and so that they can make the change where appropriate. If they actually care, they will change. If they aren't sure what they were doing, communicate with them. Otherwise, they may as well make the same mistakes.

You are just driving players away and ruining their incentive to come back because no one here knows how to moderate this site properly.

Genexwrecker

Post #16 by Genexwrecker » Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:59 pm

You haven’t read what was posted before they receive a very visible penalty and plenty of warning to knock it off before a mute is put in place. The mute is when you are out of second chances after we have communicated or already frozen you for spamming on mm

Last Laugh

Post #17 by Last Laugh » Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:01 am

But genex this is not true???

Everyone I know that has been muted has not got any notification what so ever.

Genexwrecker

Post #18 by Genexwrecker » Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:21 am

Re read what I said. They get informed about their behavior prior and usually will get a freeze for those actions. So they are well informed the actions are not acceptable. You don’t get a notification when you get muted but you don’t get one when you get banned and neither is really appealable.

Avianne

Post #19 by Avianne » Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:44 am

Genexwrecker wrote:You haven’t read what was posted before they receive a very visible penalty and plenty of warning to knock it off before a mute is put in place. The mute is when you are out of second chances after we have communicated or already frozen you for spamming on mm

Just because you say that doesn't mean its true especially when there have been countless examples where that has not been the case especially with me and another user were making cum-related jokes. I can't say the same for him but I know I was muted without question. I patiently waited a day until my account was no longer muted.

There was no warning for this especially when I wasn't spamming the same thing. If they wanted to control the situation and give us a chance they would have set a warning or do as you would usually do, make a post telling us to stop making posts related to a certain topic. This is just one of those countless examples when users were muted without warning or question.

So don't you dare act like you are right or that moderators follow the rules in place for them.

PENMASTER

Post #20 by PENMASTER » Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:51 pm

i swear its just the same shit people say I'm not told at all and they say you are well that's bullshit a freeze isn't a notification and it don't say shit about what you did and sometimes you don't even get a freeze from what i hear stop repeating the same shit and give a real reason why people arent notified
answer me that genex why is it all the same answer when people say its wrong
love2hate

Return to “Suggestions”