Do something about the toxicity

If you have a suggestion for the site, create a topic here and telll us about it
~ Bunniee ~

Do something about the toxicity

Post #1 by ~ Bunniee ~ » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:21 pm

I understand that this site is still kind of new and has a pretty small team so it may be hard to find the time, but can you please not let users get away with anything they want on the status section of duelingbook and the discord chat? It's just constant bait, bigotry, unfunny "trolling" attempts, straight up spam, and more annoying shit that drives a lot of users away from this site and ruins the potential social aspects of this site which would be a huge advantage over other yugioh simulators. I met someone last night that said they use ygopro instead of duelingbook purely because of how toxic DB is.

Issue some form of punishment or at least a warning to people who ruin it for others with their nonstop bigoted or otherwise toxic spam, set a good precedent and create an environment suitable for real conversations. Duelingbook is obviously designed with the idea of connecting yugioh players in mind but the current state of the site unfortunately prevents it from achieving that goal.

New users that ask legitimate questions about how to use the site are spammed with "kys fucking nigger" and "use exit button faggot" etc. People who try to start proper discussions about a deck, the ban list or maybe something unrelated to yugioh get much of the same. This isn't something that can be avoided with blocking people either. At the time of writing this I have 48 users blocked on duelingbook and I still see posts that make me cringe. Is it really my obligation to block each and every person who gets away with deliberately harming any attempt at proper social interaction on this site or is it your obligation to maintain a quality user-experience?

I'm not saying you should go completely the other way and be really harsh; People should be able to mess around and joke with each other of course. There has to be a limit though, and it has to be kept in good taste otherwise you're not only worsening the experience for users but also preventing the growth of this community and stopping yourselves from achieving what you set out to do with this site in the first place. Note that the dueling aspect of the site is being harmed by this too as it stops more duelists from joining/staying which keeps us at a smaller pool of players. Less ideas to be shared, less people to learn from, less people to duel!

As it stands things wont get better on their own and the toxicity may even begin to spill over to this forum too. I hope you will give this some serious consideration.
Last edited by ~ Bunniee ~ on Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Twisted Soul

Post #2 by Twisted Soul » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:33 pm

donate money to the site to help with the toxicity.
Until we meet again.

Kaiza
Mood:

Post #3 by Kaiza » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:26 am

For what its worth I don't even know how to get into the DB Discord

~ Bunniee ~

Post #4 by ~ Bunniee ~ » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:41 am

You click the discord logo on the login page lol

Dr. Nefarious

Post #5 by Dr. Nefarious » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:32 am

i'm banned from that discord :/
anyways i agree with you :)
I'm Weird
Or Am I?
You Choose.

Kaiza
Mood:

Post #6 by Kaiza » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:53 am

Probably not important

now onto more serious discussions...there is no fix for the toxicity

Lets see. Dueling Network. I was there before an active member, possibly hated member. I remember how that place was well like I remember every event in life I wish I didn't even know. That site's moderators specifically said that site is no democracy; if they don't like what you said you weren't allowed to say it; end of discussion. People got banned, a lot. You had an issue with the admins you would probably get ignored. People hated the administration and the administration mostly shrugged it off and kept an iron grip on censorship. The result?

That site got hacked, DDOSed, and flame bombed endlessly until its eventual death, and the forum's death WAS by hacking too. So much for dictatorship.

Now DB tried to follow in a different footstep. They tried not to be strict, they tried to let people be free to do as they please. But the internet is a vile, vicious place, and while strong dictatorship is awful the very opposite is disastrous. That's why you have rampant shitposting and cancer being passed around like currency. But if weak rules are bad, and strong rules are bad what is?

Frankly none of that could have solved this dilemna. But you do have a point. The blocking system is great, but its still flawed with many cracks. My block list is empty because I learned long ago that it wont stop the flood of cancer called status updates. What Monarch Snow suggested would honestly make my existence on DB so much easier and I'm sure it'll do the same for many others. It'd be great if the default status update was to see my friend's status updates, or none at all really. There's no saving the discord but that has its own controls as is. Sadly for now I see DB as Aion 2.0; you can try to be decent all you want but eventually this toxicity is going to latch onto your soul and make you just like them.

tl:dr: more rules wont fix it, fixing it involves letting the user have more control over what they do and do not see.

Dr. Nefarious

Post #7 by Dr. Nefarious » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:31 am

tl:dr
I'm Weird
Or Am I?
You Choose.

Kaiza
Mood:

Post #8 by Kaiza » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:46 am

remind me never to talk seriously...

Markus
Mood:

Post #9 by Markus » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:17 am

1. leave discord
2. disable statuses
3. ???
4. profit

Markus
Mood:

Post #10 by Markus » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:19 am

also competitive games are not safe spaces imo

[ Jujuuu. ]

Post #11 by [ Jujuuu. ] » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:07 am

Just lead by example man. You won't affect all Yu-Gi-Oh players, but that's good enough.

~ Bunniee ~

Post #12 by ~ Bunniee ~ » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:35 am

@Kaiza

Interesting points. While I agree simply being overly strict could cause backlash, I feel the majority of the community is tired of stupid, unfunny people just spamming all over the place. Only seeing posts from friends is actually a reasonable solution, but is there a batter one? While only seeing friends' statuses would stop us from seeing the cancer, it also stops us seeing the requests for help from new members and stop us making new friends through interacting with new people in the status section. Maybe blocking dozens of people really is the best approach after all (now over 50 users blocked lol).

@Markus

I'm not even remotely describing a safe space. I'm not offended/triggered by what people are posting, it's just unfunny spam that hinders the community's growth and potential for social interaction between yugioh players. People see a bunch of children running around with dirty arses and food all over their face and no parents around and they don't want to go near.

Dr. Nefarious

Post #13 by Dr. Nefarious » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:39 pm

see. i think gtfo ggnore
I'm Weird
Or Am I?
You Choose.

Twisted Soul

Post #14 by Twisted Soul » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:05 pm

On a serious note than my last post, i think it would be nice if when logging in we say our own friend's updates as they are our friends we know they won't really post stupid shit? 0_0 except if im your friend enjoy thanks <3

That would possibly make people not get that affected by the status updates or if there was a place to set it to friends updates on log in or randoms on login. Obviously, they can be changed later on by just licking it after logging in.
Until we meet again.

Lost in Illusions

Post #15 by Lost in Illusions » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:12 pm

Ruin them back, and if you cant then deal with it.

~ Bunniee ~

Post #16 by ~ Bunniee ~ » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:28 pm

The fuck do you mean "ruin them back"?

Dr. Nefarious

Post #17 by Dr. Nefarious » Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:02 pm

tbh your toxic af.
spreading nazi stuffs all over
I'm Weird
Or Am I?
You Choose.

Return to “Suggestions”