Request: Consider New Avatar & Sleeve Ideas/Designs

If you have a suggestion for the site, create a topic here and telll us about it
Monarch Snow

Request: Consider New Avatar & Sleeve Ideas/Designs

Post #1 by Monarch Snow » Sat Dec 12, 2020 7:43 am

On Jan. 28, 2018, Duelingbook unveiled several new avatars that would be available for users to acquire either by winning or donating.
It's been almost 3 years since that unveiling. In my personal opinion, I think it's reasonable to add upon/replace our current avatars/sleeves.
(If you agree after reading this post, give a reputation point to the post and share it. Also, even if you don't agree, make sure to comment.)

The following text contains my observations and opinions, while other portions of it are fact-based. (Reader discretion advised).

Upsides with the current avatars:
+ I do believe that the current Win requirements are fine, but if personally had to make changes - I'd add more arts for "200", "275", "3500+".
+ Certain avatars that met the previous criteria were well received and there is no need for an entire recall of all avatars.
+ The current avatars have clear images and have variety color-wise.

Downsides with the current avatars:
- There are 0 Spell/Traps arts, 0 Pendulum Monsters, 2 Ritual Monsters, and 2 Link Monsters.
- On https://forum.duelingbook.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1295 there are at least 40 card avatars that have the name "Dragon".
- The avatars have very few cards that represent metagames in recent history (Firewall being the latest on the list from my observation.)

Upsides with the current sleeves:
+ There is a high level of diversity among monsters.
+ Many of the sleeves could be apart of a new roster of avatars (if ever considered).

Downsides with the current sleeves:
- There are 0 Spell/Trap arts.
- There are 0 "Duelingbook custom" designs. (More on this below.)

According to colleagues, Dueling Network had special designs using the website's logo (or text) while giving users the ability to customize the border color of the provided sleeves. I've never personally used it, but I would be interested in this idea, and even potentially having specific sleeves that are only unlockable for donators/tournament winners/staff, etc.

Many people have also suggested characters from arts from the Yu-Gi-Oh! TV series and mangas as artworks also. (Inform me if legal issues prevent this from occurring, as I believe there are, but I don't exactly know how Duelingbook's copyright limbo goes.)
Last edited by Monarch Snow on Sat Dec 12, 2020 7:54 am, edited 3 times in total.
RC-1, PC-1, & DC-1 Konami® Certified Judge
Retired Duelingbook Tournament Organizer
Retired Ozone Host/Administrator
Retired Judge in DU, DNx, /r/ Subrredit Discord, & The Ruling Zone
Founder of i3 & Harmonic Souls: Organized Play

Alisae

Post #2 by Alisae » Sat Dec 12, 2020 7:46 am

more sleeves and pfps will always be welcome
(also monarch snow is putting a gun at my head and telling me to post so...)

troglyte
Mood:

Post #3 by troglyte » Sat Dec 12, 2020 7:52 am

I agree

Where are the CRAB TURTLE SLEEVES??
Crab Turtle respects your pronouns.
he/him
Sign the Crab Turtle petition here! http://chng.it/J4rvHFFfZG

Alisae

Post #4 by Alisae » Sat Dec 12, 2020 7:54 am

look
i want my snek avatar and I want it now!

Drottle

Post #5 by Drottle » Sat Dec 12, 2020 8:00 am

I would like to see some pendulum representation in f2p available profile pics/sleeves.
:smug:

Natalia

Post #6 by Natalia » Sat Dec 12, 2020 8:28 am

While you're at it you can also ban Monarch Snow for bribing me into supporting this

BlazingRune

Post #7 by BlazingRune » Sat Dec 12, 2020 8:29 am

Honestly, having more option is more better than now, cuz when I take a look at them, well.... No Tiaramisu, and that's a big shame here. I want to see my card sleeve be Tiaramisu so that I can see her smugness all days. Oh, and Verre, ah yes, I would love to see the smugness on her face every time I look at my set and my Extra Deck. Ah, yes, perfection!

Beside those, yeah it's kinda not fair when most of it is literally just dragons for no reason (although Firewall Dragon is an exception), so I believe that if we can like balance things out for it, I think it can make DuelingBook a better place to not commit to dono for those sleeves and avatars.

Delirious Mango

Post #8 by Delirious Mango » Sat Dec 12, 2020 11:26 am

Who would say no to more customisation options? They are always welcome and I hope this will be implemented and updated often with new releases etc.

Genexwrecker

Post #9 by Genexwrecker » Sat Dec 12, 2020 3:28 pm

Anime and manga arts will not be occurring for the reasons mentioned. More avatars and sleeves are something we do want to add but are currently just unable to at this time.
Official Duelingbook Support staff
Official Duelingbook Resource Judge
Official Duelingbook Tournament Admin.(Other tournament Admin is Runzy)

Christen57

Post #10 by Christen57 » Sat Dec 12, 2020 5:55 pm

Genexwrecker wrote:More avatars and sleeves are something we do want to add but are currently just unable to at this time.

This is ridiculous. It shouldn't take more than an hour to add back even the old avatars that were removed, like Dragunity Dux and Flamvell Firedog. It's literally as simple as adding a new box with the new image on it, make that box clickable, and make it so it changes your profile picture to the image on the box and keeps it that way when saved.

Monarch Snow

Post #11 by Monarch Snow » Sat Dec 12, 2020 6:15 pm

Genexwrecker wrote:Anime and manga arts will not be occurring for the reasons mentioned. More avatars and sleeves are something we do want to add but are currently just unable to at this time.

It doesn't have to happen immediately, but definitely during 2021.
I did bring it up with Xteven yesterday, and he did say that changes could occur if enough support was voiced.

Novaksis

Post #12 by Novaksis » Sat Dec 12, 2020 6:17 pm

Sure I am down for more avatars and sleeves, especially 2019-2020 ones, I do like the idea of those accessible to grind for.

Monarch Snow

Post #13 by Monarch Snow » Sat Dec 12, 2020 6:32 pm

Novaksis wrote:Sure I am down for more avatars and sleeves, especially 2019-2020 ones, I do like the idea of those accessible to grind for.

I wouldn't mind winning more to unlock more options too (even though I'll still be using donations anyway).

Star Platinum

Post #14 by Star Platinum » Sat Dec 12, 2020 7:08 pm

I would like Odd-Eyes Pendulum Dragon. It's the only one of the first 6 protagonist ace monsters to have have a pfp icon so its a very noteworthy exclusion, and also all of the other Dimension Dragons have pfps.

Some pfps from SEVENS would also be appreciated.

Tanaz

Post #15 by Tanaz » Sat Dec 12, 2020 7:09 pm

I definitely support this idea, I think that there are many types that are simply unrepresented in the game. The new batch of avatars removed the only Zombie card we had as an avatar, Crimson Vampire Knight Bram.

I've been wanting Zombie Master for years, now. Or, hell, any Zombie representation would be nice, but I feel as though Zombie Master is a very aesthetically pleasing card.

ThatEvilGaiaGuy

Post #16 by ThatEvilGaiaGuy » Sat Dec 12, 2020 7:22 pm

I'd be up for more token designs as well - though there are quite a few cards that deserve arts for sleeves and profiles due to their influence and cool art, such as Kozmo Dark Destroyer or Dark Planet, ABC Dragon Buster, Accesscode, True King of All Calamities, I:P Masquerena, Apollusa, Balerdroch, Z-ARC, and several others. Whether you do the most recent art of Apoll or the original one doesn't really matter tbh.

There aren't really that many Spells/Traps that could work for profiles but RUMs would probably look great on card sleeves, and I know I'd run some of the more simple Spells as sleeves, like Monster Reborn or Raigeki, as they're nice and eye catching with just one big thing on the art.

I'd say in general the quality of the sleeves is overall far higher than the profiles, which is weird as they would take way more effort to update! Regardless, I've tried to avoid bringing up any cards that are already on sleeves for profiles as while having Tiaramisu as a profile would be something I'd get 100%, having her as a sleeve option is enough representation IMO.

Monarch Snow

Post #17 by Monarch Snow » Sat Dec 12, 2020 7:33 pm

ThatEvilGaiaGuy wrote:I'd be up for more token designs as well - though there are quite a few cards that deserve arts for sleeves and profiles due to their influence and cool art, such as Kozmo Dark Destroyer or Dark Planet, ABC Dragon Buster, Accesscode, True King of All Calamities, I:P Masquerena, Apollusa, Balerdroch, Z-ARC, and several others. Whether you do the most recent art of Apoll or the original one doesn't really matter tbh.

There aren't really that many Spells/Traps that could work for profiles but RUMs would probably look great on card sleeves, and I know I'd run some of the more simple Spells as sleeves, like Monster Reborn or Raigeki, as they're nice and eye catching with just one big thing on the art.

I'd say in general the quality of the sleeves is overall far higher than the profiles, which is weird as they would take way more effort to update! Regardless, I've tried to avoid bringing up any cards that are already on sleeves for profiles as while having Tiaramisu as a profile would be something I'd get 100%, having her as a sleeve option is enough representation IMO.

There are a lot of Spells/Traps that would work. Graceful Charity, Pot of Greed, Change of Heart, Scapegoat, Snatch Steal, Consifcation, Delinquent Duo, Mystical Space Typhoon, Emergency Teleport and so much more.

Genexwrecker

Post #18 by Genexwrecker » Sat Dec 12, 2020 7:44 pm

Monarch Snow wrote:
Genexwrecker wrote:Anime and manga arts will not be occurring for the reasons mentioned. More avatars and sleeves are something we do want to add but are currently just unable to at this time.

I did bring it up with Xteven yesterday, and he did say that changes could occur if enough support was voiced.

Yea definitely we are down for more avatars we just need the support voiced and to get through some technical issues with duelingbook they it has been having. Once the priority is out of the way it’s just figuring out what avatars and sleeves and what amount of points.

Monarch Snow

Post #19 by Monarch Snow » Sat Dec 12, 2020 7:46 pm

Genexwrecker wrote:
Monarch Snow wrote:

Yea definitely we are down for more avatars we just need the support voiced and to get through some technical issues with duelingbook they it has been having. Once the priority is out of the way it’s just figuring out what avatars and sleeves and what amount of points.

I'll keep the thread lively until then.

Genexwrecker

Post #20 by Genexwrecker » Sat Dec 12, 2020 7:50 pm

Christen57 wrote:
Genexwrecker wrote:More avatars and sleeves are something we do want to add but are currently just unable to at this time.

This is ridiculous. It shouldn't take more than an hour to add back even the old avatars that were removed, like Dragunity Dux and Flamvell Firedog. It's literally as simple as adding a new box with the new image on it, make that box clickable, and make it so it changes your profile picture to the image on the box and keeps it that way when saved.

DB has been having some technical issues and reaching its limitations once we hit 2021 we literally are axing half the site so that issue should be less prevalent we just need the support for the avatars and help from the users to decide what ones and what would be appropriate exp/wins to get them

Return to “Suggestions”