A Guide On How To Utilize The Search Feature of Duelingbook's Forum

If you have a suggestion for the site, create a topic here and telll us about it
Christen57

A Guide On How To Utilize The Search Feature of Duelingbook's Forum

Post #1 by Christen57 » Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:12 pm

On duelingbook's forum, there is currently an option to search for various kinds of posts throughout said forum. This option is known as the search feature, and it has 2 versions: Basic Search and Advanced Search. Since all of this has confused many people, I have decided to make a comprehensive guide educating them on how to utilize this feature to it's fullest potential.

First I will explain Basic Search, and then I will explain Advanced Search.

Right now, this is what the search feature looks like:

This may confuse some people, so to make things simpler to understand, I'm going to highlight, number, and color code the 3 parts of the search feature of duelingbook's forum: the search bar, the magnifying glass, and the advanced search gear. The numbers 1, 2, and 3 are there to help those who are color blind or are unable distinguish between the colors red, blue, and green very well, while the colors are there to help those who are not colorblind but are unable to distinguish between the numbers 1, 2, and 3.

As you can see, I've highlighted the search bar in red, the magnifying glass in dark blue, and the advanced search bar in green. The reason I chose dark blue for the magnifying glass instead of light blue was because I felt that light blue would be difficult for some people to visually see since it would blend into the white background. I have also assigned the search bar the number 1, the magnifying glass the number 2, and the advanced search gear the number 3 so that you can tell which is which.

I will explain what each of these 3 things are, starting with the search bar.

The search bar is a white bar on duelingbook's forum that normally has the word "Search" in it, followed by 3 dots/periods, so it looks like this:
"Search..."
but without the quotation marks.

When you hover your mouse over the search bar for about half a second, another bar with the phrase "Search for keywords" comes up. It looks like this:

The purpose of this additional bar with this phrase "Search for keywords" is to remind users who utilize the basic search feature of duelingbook's forum what the very basic purpose of the search bar is in just 3 simple words so that when users hover their mouse over the search bar but are unable to determine or recall what it's purpose is within the first 0.49 seconds of them hovering said mouse over said search bar, they are able to be reminded what the very basic purpose of the search bar of the basic search feature of duelingbook's forum is so they are not left totally confused as to what the very basic purpose of the search bar of the basic search feature of duelingbook's forum is, which is to "search for keywords" within various posts throughout duelingbook's forum.

When you click on the search bar, a blinking line appears to the very left of the search bar, known as the insertion point. This is what it looks like:

The purpose of the insertion point is to let users know that they can now begin typing on their keyboard to make letters and words appear on the search bar. If you wish to stop being able to type on your keyboard to make letters and words appear on the search bar, just click anywhere outside the search bar, and the insertion point will go away. Click anywhere in the search bar again to make the insertion point appear in said search bar again.

For this demonstration, I will be searching for the keyword "xteven" so I type in xteven in the search bar.

At this point, there are 2 ways I can initiate a a basic search using the search feature on duelingbook's forum. I can either hit the enter key on my keyboard using my finger, or I can click on the magnifying glass that is located right next to the search bar using my mouse. Note that when I hover my mouse over the magnifying glass for about half a second, another bar with the phrase "Search" comes up, which looks like this:

The purpose of this additional bar with this phrase "Search" is to remind users who utilize the basic search feature of duelingbook's forum what the very basic purpose of the magnifying glass is in just 1 simple word so that when users hover their mouse over the magnifying glass but are unable to determine or recall what it's purpose is within the first 0.49 seconds of them hovering said mouse over said magnifying glass, they are able to be reminded what the very basic purpose of the magnifying glass of the basic search feature of duelingbook's forum is so they are not left totally confused as to what the very basic purpose of the magnifying glass of the basic search feature of duelingbook's forum is, which is to initiate a basic "search" on duelingbook's forum.

So now, after either hitting the enter key on your keyboard using your finger or clicking the magnifying glass using your mouse, you will initiate a basic search of your keyword and be taken to the basic search results page.

Since I initiated a basic search on the keyword "xteven" this is what it looks like for me:

At the top, it tells me how many "matches" it found, which is in this case 63, and at the bottom of the page, there is a dropdown menu with the option to sort by "All results," "1 day," "7 days," "2 weeks," "1 month," "3 months," "6 months," or "1 year," a second dropdown menu with the option to sort by "Author," "Post time," "Forum," "Topic title," or "Post subject," and a third dropdown menu with the option to sort by "Ascending" or "Descending" followed by a "Go" button.

I will explain what each of these things mean, starting with "matches".

When the basic search results tell me that it found 63 matches, what it's telling me is that it found a total of 63 posts and replies with the word xteven in it, and when I say a total of 63 posts and replies, I don't mean 63 posts and 63 replies, I mean a number of posts and replies that add up to 63. That's what the number of "matches" means — the number of different posts with the keyword you're looking for plus the number of different replies with the keyword you're looking for.

Since, in this case, more than 20 matches came up, the first 20 matches were put on a single page, with the rest being put on different pages with no more than 20 matches on each additional page, so from here I can go from page to page to see the rest of the 63 matches.

Now I will explain the dropdown menus I talked about earlier, starting with the first one with the option to sort by "All results," "1 day," "7 days," "2 weeks," "1 month," "3 months," "6 months," or "1 year".

"All results" means that all 63 matches will be shown regardless of how old they are.
"1 day" means that only the matches that are less than a day old will be shown.
"7 days" means that only the matches that are less than a week old will be shown (7 days is equal to a week).
"2 weeks" means that only the matches that are less than 2 weeks old will be shown.
"1 month" means that only the matches that are less than a month old will be shown.
"3 months" means that only the matches that are less than 3 months old will be shown.
"6 months" means that only the matches that are less than 6 months old will be shown.
"1 year" means that only the matches that are less than a year old will be shown (12 months, 52 weeks, and 365 days are each equal to a year, except during leap years that happen every 4 years, where, in that case, 366 days would be equal to a year instead of 365).

Now I will explain the second dropdown menu with the option to sort by "Author," "Post time," "Forum," "Topic title," or "Post subject".

"Author" means that the posts/replies will be sorted based on the alphabetical order of the usernames of the users making those posts/replies. If the "Author" option is selected, the usernames will be sorted from A to Z where A is first and Z is last if the "Ascending" option in the third dropdown menu is selected, and from Z to A where Z is first and A is last if the "Descending" option in said third dropdown menu is selected. Also, when sorting based on "Author," any posts/replies made by the same author will be sorted further based on the date they were posted, with the oldest posts being first, and the newest posts being last, regardless of what option in the third dropdown menu you chose.

"Post time" means that the posts/replies will be sorted based on the date they were posted. If the "Post time" option is selected, the posts will be sorted from oldest to newest where the oldest is first and the newest is last if the "Ascending" option in the third dropdown menu is selected, and from newest to oldest where the newest is first and the oldest is last if the "Descending" option in said third dropdown menu is selected.

"Forum" means that the posts/replies will be sorted based on where, on the forums/subforums, they were posted. If the "Ascending" option in the third dropdown menu is selected, the posts/replies will be sorted based on the location they were made, in the order of "Announcements," "Introductions," "Farewells," "Suggestions," "Report Glitch," "Rulings Q&A," "Deck Discussion," "Forbidden/Limited List Discussions," "Custom Cards," "Official Tournaments," "Unofficial Tournaments," "Active Wars," "Team Page," "Free Agent," "Finished Wars," "War Registration," "Hall of Fame," "Spam Paradise," "Serious Discussions," and "Ask Me Anything," with "Announcements" being first and "Ask Me Anything" being last. If the "Descending" option in said third dropdown menu is selected, the posts will be sorted in that order but reversed, with "Ask Me Anything" being first and "Announcements" being last. Also, when sorting based on "Forum," any posts/replies in the same location will be sorted further based on the date they were posted, with the oldest posts being first, and the newest posts being last, regardless of what option in the third dropdown menu you chose.

"Topic title" means that the posts/replies will be sorted based on the alphabetical order of the titles of the topics where those posts/replies are found. If the "Topic title" option is selected, said titles will be sorted from A to Z where A is first and Z is last if the "Ascending" option in the third dropdown menu is selected, and from Z to A where Z is first and A is last if the "Descending" option in said third dropdown menu is selected. Also, when sorting based on "Topic title," any posts/replies made under the same topic will be sorted further based on the date they were posted, with the oldest posts being first, and the newest posts being last, regardless of what option in the third dropdown menu you chose.

"Post subject" means that the posts/replies will be sorted based on a combination of the alphabetical order of the titles of the topics where those posts/replies are found, and the alphabetical order of the default titles of the posts/replies that are not topics, which are "Re: " followed by the title of the topic the post/reply is in. In other words, posts that are topics will be sorted in alphabetical order until "Re: " is reached, then the sorting will continue with posts that are replies, which are given titles that start with "Re: " followed by the title of the topic it is replying to, and then after that when there are no more posts/replies starting with "Re: " the sorting will continue down to the rest of the alphabet with the rest of any remaining titles. If the "Ascending" option in the third dropdown menu is selected, all of this will happen from A to Z, but if the "Descending" option in the third dropdown menu is selected, all of this will happen from Z to A.

Remember that "Topics" are defined/made by the "New Topic *" option, while "Replies" are defined/made by the "Quick Reply" and "POST A REPLY" options, as shown here:

Also, remember that in order for these different sorting effects to apply you must click the "Go" button after choosing all your dropdown menu options. By default, they are set to "All result," "Post time," and "Ascending".

Now that I've explained everything there is to know about Basic Search, it's time to explain Advanced Search.

Advanced Search can be used when you want to do a more specific advanced search instead of a Basic Search.

To open up duelingbook's Advanced Search feature, first hover your mouse over the advanced search gear. Note that when you hover your mouse over the advanced search gear for about half a second, a bar with the phrase "Advanced search" comes up, which looks like this:

The purpose of this bar with this phrase "Advanced search" is to remind users who utilize the advanced search feature of duelingbook's forum what the very basic purpose of the advanced search is in just 2 simple words so that when users hover their mouse over the advanced search gear but are unable to determine or recall what it's purpose is within the first 0.49 seconds of them hovering said mouse over said advanced search gear, they are able to be reminded what the very basic purpose of the advanced search gear of the advanced search feature of duelingbook's forum is so they are not left totally confused as to what the very basic purpose of the advanced search gear of the advanced search feature of duelingbook's forum is, which is to initiate an "advanced search" on duelingbook's forum.

Click on the advanced search gear from earlier. If done correctly, you will be taken to this page: https://forum.duelingbook.com/search.php

This is called the Advanced Search Page, and it should look like this:

The first thing you will notice is the search for keywords bar, which is located at the very top. In fact, if you hover your mouse over the search for keywords bar for about half a second, a bar with the phrase "Search for keywords" will come up, which looks like this:

The purpose of this bar with this phrase "Search for keywords" is to remind users who utilize the advanced search feature of duelingbook's forum what the very basic purpose of the search for keywords bar is in just 3 simple words so that when users hover their mouse over the search for keywords bar but are unable to determine or recall what it's purpose is within the first 0.49 seconds of them hovering said mouse over said search for keywords bar, they are able to be reminded what the very basic purpose of the search for keywords bar of the advanced search feature of duelingbook's forum is so they are not left totally confused as to what the very basic purpose of the search for keywords bar of the advanced search feature of duelingbook's forum is, which is to "search for keywords" on duelingbook's forum.

If you look to the left of the search for keywords bar, you will notice that it says:

Search for keywords:
Place + in front of a word which must be found and - in front of a word which must not be found. Put a list of words separated by | into brackets if only one of the words must be found. Use * as a wildcard for partial matches.

Also, if you look directly below the search for keywords bar, you will also notice that there are 2 options: "Search for all terms or use query as entered" and "Search for any terms".

I will explain what this all means, one by one.

"Place + in front of a word which must be found" means that the search results will not show anything that does not include your keyword(s) with the + symbol in front of it. Also, when it says to place the plus symbol in front of the word, that means it must be placed to the left of the word, with no spaces or other characters in between, and not to the right of the word, so for example, if I wanted to tell the Advanced Search that the "word which must be found" is "xteven" I would type "+xteven" in the search for keywords bar, not "xteven+" "+ xteven" or "xteven +".

Now let's say I also wanted to make sure that "server" was also another "word which must be found" in addition to "xteven". In that case, I would type "+server" after "+xteven" separating the two with a space, so it looks like this:

This means the search results will now show only what includes both "xteven" and "server". If I wanted to include any more words "which must be found" in addition to those words I already have, I would just add + followed by the word, for each word, separating everything with a space.

"and - in front of a word which must not be found" means that if you want the search results to not include whatever has a certain word, you put a - symbol to the left of said word with no spaces in between them, so for example, if I wanted to tell the Advanced Search that a "word which must not be found" is "friends" I would type "-friends" in the search for keywords bar, not "friends-" "- friends" or "friends -".

Now this is what my search parameters look like so far:

They are set up so that the search results will show only what includes both "xteven" and "server" while also excluding the word "friends". Also, keep in mind that Advanced Search will prioritize exclusions over inclusions, meaning that if you type "+xteven" in the search for keywords bar so that it includes only what has "xteven" in it, but also type "-xteven" in that search for keywords bar to make it exclude whatever has "xteven" in it, it will focus on excluding what has "xteven" in it instead of including what has "xteven" in it. In fact, it wouldn't show anything at all in this case, but rather filter out what includes xteven and also filter out what does not include xteven, thus filtering out everything since it's impossible for something to both include a certain word and not include said word at the same time, regardless of whether or not you try to make it include other words without excluding them.

"Put a list of words separated by | into brackets if only one of the words must be found" means that if for example you wanted the search results to show only what includes at least 1 of the words in a list of words that you create, you place the words into round parentheses which look like this () and you also separate each word with vertical bars instead of spaces. Make sure you use the round parentheses and not the [] or {} symbols when creating your list. Those won't work. Also, this | symbol is not called a capital i, a number 1, or a lowercase L, but rather a vertical bar, and to type this vertical bar, you must hold down the SHIFT key on your keyboard, press the key that is directly between the Enter key on your keyboard and the BACK SPACE key on said keyboard, then release said SHIFT key. The key I'm referring to, directly between the Enter key on your keyboard and the BACK SPACE key on said keyboard, should look like this, highlighted in red and circled:

You hold down the SHIFT key on your keyboard, then press that key I've highlighted in the picture, the one between the Enter key and the BACK SPACE key, then release said SHIFT key.

If for whatever reason your keyboard does not have this key, you can instead hold down the Alt key on your keyboard, type 0124 on your number pad, then release the Alt key, and then the vertical bar will be typed that way. You must have Num Lock enabled in order for your number pad on your keyboard to work, also this method does not work with the number keys 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 above the letter keys on your keyboard that are arranged in a straight line. It only works with the number pad on your keyboard with the numbers arranged somewhat like this:

[7][8][9]
[4][5][6]
[1][2][3]
[0]

So now, if for example I wanted the search results to show only what includes at least 1 of the following words — xteven, server, or friend — I would type my list like this:
(xteven|server|friend)
Then the search results would show only what includes at least 1 of those words.

I could also combine this with the + and - search parameters to also make it so that the search results filter out what doesn't include any of the words in my parentheses list, while also filtering out what doesn't include a specific word and/or what does include a specific word. For example, here I make it so that the search parameters filter out what includes the word "apple," what doesn't include the word "buddy," and what doesn't include any of the following words in this list: (xteven|server|friend)

"Use * as a wildcard for partial matches" means that, instead of searching for what includes or excludes a specific word, you can search for what includes/excludes at least a part of a specific word. For example, here when I try to search for just "xteve" I don't get much...

but when I search "xteve*" I get all the results that include any word that starts with "xteve" even if the entire word itself isn't "xteve".

Also, notice how, regardless of whether I search for "xteven" "XTEVEN" "XtEvEn" or "xTeVeN," the results are always the same. In other words, it won't filter out "XTEVEN" in uppercase letters just because I type "xteven" in lowercase letters, and vice versa. That means that Advanced Search doesn't really care if I capitalize the words I want to search or not. It will still search and filter out things regardless of capitalization. This is good to know because it means you do not need to waste time capitalizing anything to search for any capitalized version of any word(s) as both Basic Search and Advanced Search treat both any capitalizations and any non-capitalizations the same.

Another important thing to keep in mind is that, unlike the + and - symbols which must always be placed to the left of any word, the * symbol can be placed to either the left, the right, or both sides of any partial word depending on if you want to filter out/for words that begin with that partial word, end in that partial word, or have that partial word in it. For example, if I wanted to search for only what starts with "enexwrec" I would put the * symbol to the right of "enexwrec" so it looks like this: enexwrec*
Likewise, if I wanted to search for only what ends "enexwrec" I would put the * symbol to the left of "enexwrec" so it looks like this: *enexwrec

Alternatively, I can also search for not necessarily what starts with or ends with "enexwrec" but rather what just has "enexwrec" in it. I can do this by having a * symbol at both to the left and to the right of "enexwrec".

Now that I have explained everything there is to know about the search for keywords bar, I will explain the options "Search for all terms or use query as entered" and "Search for any terms".

"Search for all terms of use query as entered" means that the Advanced Search will be based on the plus, minus, vertical bar, and round parentheses symbols you use in addition to the keywords, as well as everything I've explained earlier regarding them.

"Search for any terms" means that all + and - symbols will be ignored by the Advanced Search, meaning that the Advanced Search will just search for as many posts/replies as possible with at least 1 of the keyword(s) you put in the search for keywords bar, without taking into consideration any plus or minus symbol(s) before any word(s). In other words, if for example you have this "Search for any terms" option selected, and you have these parameters in your search for keywords bar:
-apple -banana +xteven (server|buddy|friend|cookie|zebra) +genexwrecker -lantern

then Advanced Search will treat your search parameters as if it was this instead:
(apple|banana|xteven|server|buddy|friend|cookie|zebra|genexwrecker|lantern)

Now that I have explained everything there is to know about these 3 things which are the search for keywords bar, the "Search for all terms of use query as entered" option, and the "Search for any terms" option, I will now explain the search for author bar, which is located just below the search for keywords bar. I circled it to make it easy to locate and identify.

When you hover your mouse over the search for author bar for about half a second, another bar with the phrase "Search for author" comes up. It looks like this:

The purpose of this bar with this phrase "Search for author" is to remind users who utilize the advanced search feature of duelingbook's forum what the very basic purpose of the search for author bar is in just 3 simple words so that when users hover their mouse over the search for author bar but are unable to determine or recall what it's purpose is within the first 0.49 seconds of them hovering said mouse over said search for author bar, they are able to be reminded what the very basic purpose of the search for author bar of the advanced search feature of duelingbook's forum is so they are not left totally confused as to what the very basic purpose of the search for author bar of the advanced search feature of duelingbook's forum is, which is to initiate a search for posts based on a specific author on duelingbook's forum.

For example, if I typed in Lantern's username and initiated a search, it would bring up all of Lantern's posts/replies. In this case, the Advanced Search found 8 matches.

If you look to the left of the search for author bar, you will notice it says:
Search for author:
Use * as a wildcard for partial matches.

This means that instead of searching for Lantern's posts specifically, I can search for posts by users whose username includes the author's partial name using * symbols. For instance, if I searched for posts made by "Lant*" or searched for posts made my "*tern" it would still bring up Lantern's posts, but this in particular doesn't seem to work for everyone since when I tried searching for all posts made by "flam*" it said that nothing was found, even though there are posts by the user flaming_ice.

The search in forums box is a box where you can specify which part(s) of duelingbook's forum you want to search. When you hover your mouse over this box, another little bar with the phrase "Search in forums" comes up. It looks like this:

The purpose of this additional bar with this phrase "Search in forums" is to remind users who utilize the advanced search feature of duelingbook's forum what the very basic purpose of the search in forums box is in just 3 simple words so that when users hover their mouse over the search in forums box but are unable to determine or recall what it's purpose is within the first 0.49 seconds of them hovering said mouse over said search in forums box, they are able to be reminded what the very basic purpose of the search in forums box of the advanced search feature of duelingbook's forum is so they are not left totally confused as to what the very basic purpose of the search in forums box of the advanced search feature of duelingbook's forum is, which is to "Search in forums" on duelingbook's.

Using our mouse, we can scroll up or down and click on or highlight one or multiple different possible forums/subforums we can search.

If we want to highlight multiple forums/subforums near each other, we simply hold down our mouse button and drag over them.

If we want to select multiple forums/subforums that are not near each other without selecting any in between, we can hold down Ctrl key on our keyboard, then use the mouse. There should be 2 Ctrl keys on your keyboard. Just hold down one of them and click the forums to select multiple forums without accidentally selecting what you don't want.

Just below the search in forums box there are some options, one of which is to "Search subforums". Above where it says "Search subforums" it says that "Subforums are searched automatically if you do not disable “search subforums“ below." This means that if for example you have this option enabled, and you choose to search just the "Support" part of the forum, it will also search "Suggestions" and "Report Glitch" since those 2 are "subforums" of "Support".

Below, there is another option to "Search within" "Post subjects and message text," "Message text only," "Topic titles only," or "First post of topics only". I will explain what each of these options mean.

"Post subjects and message text" means the Advanced Search will check if what you're looking for, and not looking for, is within any posts or within any titles of any topics or posts, and return everything it finds that you're looking for. Remember that, by default, replies in a topic have the title of "Re: " followed by the same name as the title of the topic the reply is to. For example, if I were to make a reply on this thread titled "Regarding Online simulation Yugioh on this site etc." then the "post subject" of my reply would be "Re: Regarding Online simulation Yugioh on this site etc." like everyone else's, which would mean that if I then searched all post subjects and message texts for all 3 of the words "regarding," "online," and "yugioh," my reply would come up since it's title would be "Re: Regarding Online simulation Yugioh on this site etc." which contains all 3 of those words I'm searching for, even if my post/reply itself does not contain any of those 3 words.

"Message text only" means the Advanced Search will check only if what you're looking for, and not looking for, is within posts/replies themselves and return whatever it finds that you're looking for, unlike "Post subjects and message text" which will check both posts and their titles. If I post a reply to that "Regarding Online simulation Yugioh on this site etc." topic, and then search for all replies with all 3 of those same words as before, "regarding," "online," and "yugioh," using the "Message text only" option, the only way my response will come up is if all 3 of those words are in my reply itself instead of just the title or post subject of my reply or the topic.

"Topic titles only" means the Advanced Search will check only if what you're looking for is within titles of topics that are not replies to someone else, meaning that with this option selected, it will never come up with matching replies, only matching titles, so in this case, when I search for only what contains all 3 of those same words as before, "regarding," "online," and "yugioh," using the "Topic titles only" option, the only result that comes up is the "Regarding Online simulation Yugioh on this site etc." topic itself, which contains those 3 words I'm looking for in that topic title.

"First post of topics only" means the Advanced Search will check only if what you're looking for is within what the author of any topic created, whether it's the topic title, the initial post of that topic by the author, or any combination of both. It won't check any replies after that. For example, when I search for only what contains all 3 of those same words as before, "regarding," "online," and "yugioh," using the "First post of topics only" option, one of the results that comes up is this "FLC 3 - FREE ONLINE GOAT FORMAT TOURNAMENT" topic. This is because this title of this topic contains the word "online" which is one of the words I'm looking for, while the rest of that initial post by the author of that topic contains "regarding" and "yugioh" which are the other 2 words I'm looking for.

Now that I have explained what those options mean, I will explain a few more things that are left and wrap this guide up.

Here, there is an option to display results as either "Posts" or "Topics".

This is what the results look like when you display them as Posts.

This is what the results look like when you display them as Topics.

Then there is this other option to "Return first" 0, 25, 50, 100, 200, 300, 400, 500, 600, 700, 800, 900, or 1000 characters of each post that comes up in the search result, along with a final option to just return "All available" characters of each post that comes up in the search results. For these options to have any effect, you must have the option, to display results as Posts, selected.

This is what it looks like when you choose to return only the first 25 characters of each post:

and this is what it looks like when you choose to return "All available" characters:

Finally, I will explain the 2 remaining buttons: the Reset button and the Search button.

The Reset button allows you to Reset all your search parameters to their default parameters, and also to clear any bars or boxes with any texts or highlights in them, which is a lot faster than manually clearing everything so you can start over. This is what it looks like:

Finally, you have the Search button, which is located to the right of the Reset button and, when clicked, takes all of the parameters you established, and conducts an Advanced Search based on said parameters. Alternatively, you can press the Enter key on your keyboard with your finger to do an Advanced Search instead of clicking the button, as long as you have your insertion point in either the search for keywords bar or the search for author bar.

That's everything there is to know about duelingbook's Basic and Advanced Search features. That's the end of my guide! Now people can fully understand how to search better on duelingbook's forum, utilize these search features to their fullest potential, and no longer be confused about anything regarding duelingbook's search features.

Return to “Suggestions”