Not enough (if any) Judges on EU times

If you have a suggestion for the site, create a topic here and telll us about it
GenoFour

Not enough (if any) Judges on EU times

Post #1 by GenoFour » Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:36 am

Hi, I've pretty much playing for a week straight, quite often both in the morning and evening, and I've yet to have any of my judge call answered.

Playing rating pretty much becomes a "Let's see who lasts the longest" when me and the opponent disagree on a ruling

Christen57

Post #2 by Christen57 » Fri Oct 22, 2021 4:12 pm

I don't know if they can just magically make judges come faster, but the least they could do is make it so duelingbook doesn't automatically kick you for "inactivity" while you're waiting for a judge.

Sound4

Post #3 by Sound4 » Fri Oct 22, 2021 4:13 pm

I agree very annoying

Renji Asuka

Post #4 by Renji Asuka » Fri Oct 22, 2021 4:14 pm

This is why I strongly believe that judges should be on a schedule every day. :L
Showing people that I'm The King of Games since September 30, 1996.

Christen57

Post #5 by Christen57 » Fri Oct 22, 2021 4:23 pm

Renji Asuka wrote:This is why I strongly believe that judges should be on a schedule every day. :L

This wouldn't really work. Judges can have unexpected things happen in their lives that may require them to take time off that they would've normally spent... judging.

Renji Asuka

Post #6 by Renji Asuka » Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:38 pm

Christen57 wrote:
Renji Asuka wrote:This is why I strongly believe that judges should be on a schedule every day. :L

This wouldn't really work. Judges can have unexpected things happen in their lives that may require them to take time off that they would've normally spent... judging.

It would work, don't create excuses. If you know you're scheduled for a couple hours on a day (for instance) and something came up that doesn't allow you to, just let other judges know. Just like in actual jobs.

There is 0 reason not to set a standard vs the "Eh, I'll judge if I feel like it".

Even volunteers still have to show up by a certain time frame to do what needs to be done that they volunteered for.

Genexwrecker

Post #7 by Genexwrecker » Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:01 pm

Renji Asuka wrote:
Christen57 wrote:

It would work, don't create excuses. If you know you're scheduled for a couple hours on a day (for instance) and something came up that doesn't allow you to, just let other judges know. Just like in actual jobs.

There is 0 reason not to set a standard vs the "Eh, I'll judge if I feel like it".

Even volunteers still have to show up by a certain time frame to do what needs to be done that they volunteered for.

This isnt a job or a company this is our hobby. We do this for fun. We can all stop doing the hobby at any point.
Official Duelingbook Support staff
Official Duelingbook Resource Judge
Official Duelingbook Tournament Admin.(Other tournament Admin is Runzy)

Renji Asuka

Post #8 by Renji Asuka » Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:04 pm

Genexwrecker wrote:
Renji Asuka wrote:
Christen57 wrote:

This isnt a job or a company this is our hobby. We do this for fun. We can all stop doing the hobby at any point.

And volunteers are still required to show up at specific times.

I'm not budging on the issue :L

Genexwrecker

Post #9 by Genexwrecker » Sat Oct 23, 2021 12:48 am

Renji Asuka wrote:
Genexwrecker wrote:
Renji Asuka wrote:It would work, don't create excuses. If you know you're scheduled for a couple hours on a day (for instance) and something came up that doesn't allow you to, just let other judges know. Just like in actual jobs.

You missed the point all of us are volunteers. aka all of us who run the site. This isnt a job for any of us even the owner we do this for fun in our free time. Like building things out of legos.

d1234

Post #10 by d1234 » Sat Oct 23, 2021 1:26 am

Genexwrecker wrote:
Renji Asuka wrote:
Genexwrecker wrote:This isnt a job or a company this is our hobby. We do this for fun. We can all stop doing the hobby at any point.

You missed the point all of us are volunteers. aka all of us who run the site. This isnt a job for any of us even the owner we do this for fun in our free time. Like building things out of legos.

You would also enter a tournament for fun, but you dont get a bye if your running late
Remove Dark Cyborg from beginner.

Renji Asuka

Post #11 by Renji Asuka » Sat Oct 23, 2021 1:57 am

Genexwrecker wrote:
Renji Asuka wrote:
Genexwrecker wrote:This isnt a job or a company this is our hobby. We do this for fun. We can all stop doing the hobby at any point.

You missed the point of volunteering. If you volunteer you show up for what you volunteered for.

If you can't show up to judge (in this case), you shouldn't be volunteering.

greg503

Post #12 by greg503 » Sat Oct 23, 2021 2:18 am

You could always just play unrated and tournaments, since those have organizers that can resolve disputes
Buy Floowandereeze

Genexwrecker

Post #13 by Genexwrecker » Sat Oct 23, 2021 6:09 am

Renji Asuka wrote:
Genexwrecker wrote:
Renji Asuka wrote:And volunteers are still required to show up at specific times.

You missed the point of volunteering. If you volunteer you show up for what you volunteered for.

If i decide to run a lemonade stand for fun i can do it whenever i want. Same concept here

Renji Asuka

Post #14 by Renji Asuka » Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:13 pm

Genexwrecker wrote:
Renji Asuka wrote:
Genexwrecker wrote:You missed the point all of us are volunteers. aka all of us who run the site. This isnt a job for any of us even the owner we do this for fun in our free time. Like building things out of legos.

If i decide to run a lemonade stand for fun i can do it whenever i want. Same concept here

There's a difference between running a lemonade stand for fun and helping out at a church for a play.

You're still expected to show up on time to help prepare for said play.

Christen57

Post #15 by Christen57 » Sat Oct 23, 2021 6:27 pm

Renji Asuka wrote:
Genexwrecker wrote:
Renji Asuka wrote:It would work, don't create excuses. If you know you're scheduled for a couple hours on a day (for instance) and something came up that doesn't allow you to, just let other judges know. Just like in actual jobs.

Genexwrecker just said this was a hobby, not a "volunteer" thing. Hobbies are things you do on your own time. Volunteering requires that you show up at a specific time, and very inactive judges still can lose their status as a judge.

Renji Asuka

Post #16 by Renji Asuka » Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:14 pm

Christen57 wrote:
Renji Asuka wrote:

Genexwrecker just said this was a hobby, not a "volunteer" thing. Hobbies are things you do on your own time. Volunteering requires that you show up at a specific time, and very inactive judges still can lose their status as a judge.

In previous threads, they used the term "volunteers". Even you know this.

Sound4

Post #17 by Sound4 » Tue Oct 26, 2021 4:05 pm

Genexwrecker wrote:
Renji Asuka wrote:
Genexwrecker wrote:You missed the point all of us are volunteers. aka all of us who run the site. This isnt a job for any of us even the owner we do this for fun in our free time. Like building things out of legos.

This is not a good example you judges passed the exam and agreed to judge. To run a lemonade stand you don't sign up for nothing.

Genexwrecker

Post #18 by Genexwrecker » Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:05 pm

Sound4 wrote:
Genexwrecker wrote:
Renji Asuka wrote:You missed the point of volunteering. If you volunteer you show up for what you volunteered for.

This is not a good example you judges passed the exam and agreed to judge. To run a lemonade stand you don't sign up for nothing.

I didnt pass an exam and get hired I'm literally here to help a friend with his hobby website. Yes we have a venting process because we dont want random people to have authority on the website.

Reegar
Mood:

Post #19 by Reegar » Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:23 pm

Scheduled judging doesn't work unfortunately on DB. There is a difference between directing a play for example or judging on DB.
a) If you were directing a play you would have to show up in person, which does differ a lot from online, where people are more prone to be less reliable
b) a play would probably not function if the director wouldn't show up, DB works, for the most part, without judges (not that many duels actual require one)
c) such things are scheduled like once a week at a point everyone has time, where as on DB, you are of help whenever you show up

I could probably list more, but you get the basic idea. You can't compare every volunteer work to each other. We do require our judges to be at least somewhat active and we do remove some from time to time. We are trying to compensate not having a schedule by simply hiring more judges, but unfortunately either the exam is too hard, not enough people want to take it or simply not enough users have the required ruling knowledge. A fact also to mention is that this isn't really a job where you get appreciated a lot. Often, you will rule against a user and they will simply not be happy about the result and start insulting, spamming, threatning you, etc. Some judges do not care about that, but this can be a turn off, especially to new judges, which causes them to be inactive.

There is also more work behind the scenes then just taking judge calls, it is still a website that in general needs to be moderated, that includes this forum for example. I don't know if you guys have ever filed an abuse or ban appeal before, but that is also very time consuming.

Not everything is as black and white as it seems.

Christen57

Post #20 by Christen57 » Fri Oct 29, 2021 1:04 am

Genexwrecker wrote:
Sound4 wrote:
Genexwrecker wrote:If i decide to run a lemonade stand for fun i can do it whenever i want. Same concept here

I didnt pass an exam and get hired I'm literally here to help a friend with his hobby website. Yes we have a venting process because we dont want random people to have authority on the website.

Reegar wrote:Scheduled judging doesn't work unfortunately on DB. There is a difference between directing a play for example or judging on DB.
a) If you were directing a play you would have to show up in person, which does differ a lot from online, where people are more prone to be less reliable
b) a play would probably not function if the director wouldn't show up, DB works, for the most part, without judges (not that many duels actual require one)
c) such things are scheduled like once a week at a point everyone has time, where as on DB, you are of help whenever you show up

I could probably list more, but you get the basic idea. You can't compare every volunteer work to each other. We do require our judges to be at least somewhat active and we do remove some from time to time. We are trying to compensate not having a schedule by simply hiring more judges, but unfortunately either the exam is too hard, not enough people want to take it or simply not enough users have the required ruling knowledge. A fact also to mention is that this isn't really a job where you get appreciated a lot. Often, you will rule against a user and they will simply not be happy about the result and start insulting, spamming, threatning you, etc. Some judges do not care about that, but this can be a turn off, especially to new judges, which causes them to be inactive.

There is also more work behind the scenes then just taking judge calls, it is still a website that in general needs to be moderated, that includes this forum for example. I don't know if you guys have ever filed an abuse or ban appeal before, but that is also very time consuming.

Not everything is as black and white as it seems.

Can you at least make it so duelingbook doesn't automatically kick you for inactivity while you're waiting for a judge so that way you don't have to keep clicking the Shuffle Hand button or something every minute to keep duelingbook from thinking you're inactive?

Return to “Suggestions”